Anyone else excited about this?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Anyone else excited about this?

Postby Bombcup » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:27 pm

Has nobody talked about the Mypressi Twist yet?

Looks like total awesomeness. Nitrous injected espresso FTW.

http://www.home-barista.com/reviews/myp ... 12595.html
Bombcup

RE: Anyone else excited about this?

Postby jossy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Isn't it similar to this product:
http://www.handpresso.fr/products/wild-domepod-EN.html
??
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

RE: Anyone else excited about this?

Postby kingseven » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:01 pm

I am curious, are they available in the UK yet?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bombcup » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Just launched this month in the states, but some of their blurb suggests they're going to be exporting it.
Bombcup

Postby AlexV » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby kingseven » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:30 pm

£120? Eek. I will let someone else test that one.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby jossy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:34 pm

I will let someone else test that one

preferably someone with a handpresso so they can give us a fair comparison..
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby lsjms » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:52 pm

The Twist is one of those things I just will have to buy, I cannot imagine how awesome it would be to whip out at the crag and pull a nice shot. They should have taken it all the way and added butane heating. If there is nothing terrible revealed on HB, it's top of my must have list for next climbing trip.

Got pretty excited about the Presso but it looks a bit weak, and does not have nice filter baskets or much metal anywhere. The twist looks like you could just stick the basket end in hot water to preheat it

Is the nitrous an issue for espresso making?

Any suggestions for beans/blends that work at super low temperature?
lsjms

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:35 pm

king "I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee" seven wrote:£120? Eek. I will let someone else test that one.

Come on James, you have a reputation to maintain! :wink:

lsjms wrote:I cannot imagine how awesome it would be to whip out at the crag and pull a nice shot.

Make it hot forged with I-beams, anodised, and rackable, and I'm in! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 pm

they had them in Atlanta, I tried it but they were using some really awful coffee at the time, so I couldn't tell how great the extraction was.

Intelli tried it with Black Cat, and I heard they loved it.
Jasonscheltus

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:22 pm

It looks like a fantastic gadget. But what is the point, apart from bragging rights that you have such a fantastic gadget!

It is for coffee "in the wild". But you have to have a kettle, for the boiling water, a grinder for the coffee, a sink to throw the waste in, a supply of NO2, etc. Surely it is simpler to find a nearby espresso bar ? :wink:
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Bombcup » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 pm

JulieJayne wrote:It looks like a fantastic gadget. But what is the point, apart from bragging rights that you have such a fantastic gadget!

It is for coffee "in the wild". But you have to have a kettle, for the boiling water, a grinder for the coffee, a sink to throw the waste in, a supply of NO2, etc. Surely it is simpler to find a nearby espresso bar ? :wink:

Maybe it's not primarily for coffee in the wild?
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:57 pm

a sink to throw the waste

Or you could chuck them over your shoulder

Surely it is simpler to find a nearby espresso bar ?

Well yes, but only if you consider the wild to be your local park!

But what is the point, apart from bragging rights that you have such a fantastic gadget

The point is getting up from my grotty tent and sleeping bag and making a nice double instead of camp, moka or press. Which would be awesome. Surely this is the only fantastic thing about it, I mean it looks like one of those 'massager' toys. :lol:
lsjms

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 am

lsjms wrote:
But what is the point, apart from bragging rights that you have such a fantastic gadget

The point is getting up from my grotty tent and sleeping bag and making a nice double instead of camp, moka or press. Which would be awesome.

That's why I always have an aeropress with me in the alps though. Much easier and lighter than one of these and capable of giving me a full mugs worth to get me going on cold early morning starts before the sun's up.

I'll agree that it looks like a very cool gadget, but we all know how complicated the variables are in getting a decent shot, and this just looks as though it is going to make that harder. Most of the time, I'd rather not try to compromise and either wait till I get home (or if possible find somewhere) to have a shot, or go without. So I suppose I fail to see the point, and even less at the current price.

I mean it looks like one of those 'massager' toys. :lol:

I wouldn't know what you are talking about :roll:... care to share a url, I hear christmas is coming soon :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bombcup » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:49 am

From what I've seen so far I would even go as far as to say that it would probably make better espresso than anything south of a Silvia, making it all the espresso machine you would need if you're not into milk.

You have the ability to set the water temp exactly where you want it, you've got no crappy vibe pump, just a consistant pressure from the gas, easy cleanup, likely to be reliable (have you seen the number of threads for broken Gaggias?) and it goes away in a drawer. All this hyperbole is without having actually used one, but I think this could be more than just a nifty gadget.
Bombcup

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods