Bodum Santos with Cona filter rod

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bodum Santos with Cona filter rod

Postby phil » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:12 pm

Quink wanted to know how this worked, so I tried it today just to see.

The good news: it works, and the resulting coffee is much cleaner and clearer than with the standard Bodum filter disk.

The bad news:In my (so far fairly limited) experience, draining of vac pots with glass rods is somewhat slower than experienced with those with other filter methods. The Santos has a rather wider connecting tube than the Cona, and so the rod sits differently. I found that the draining time was extended (around 4 - 5 minutes for a litre) and so my coffee was somewhat over-brewed.

Verdict - a limited success. I'm not too clear what effect grind will have on draining times with both pots, but I'm going to try it and see.

Watch this space.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Re: Bodum Santos with Cona filter rod

Postby matts » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:23 am

phil wrote: I found that the draining time was extended (around 4 - 5 minutes for a litre) and so my coffee was somewhat over-brewed.

Verdict - a limited success. I'm not too clear what effect grind will have on draining times with both pots, but I'm going to try it and see.

Watch this space.

Cool. But uurgh, way too long. I try and go for 2.5-3 minutes 'up' top, and then want it to be all 'down' about 30 secs from turning the heat off. Sometimes when I take it off the heat I blow gently on the bottom bowl to cool it off quickly and get it sucking.

I have been having a few pots worth these last few mornings and have had to go quite a lot coarser with the Yemeni stuff I'm drinking, either that or my *$ Barista is on it's last legs and making too much dust.

Matt
matts

Return to Other Brewing Methods