Kenneth Grahame's method for perfect coffee

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenneth Grahame's method for perfect coffee

Postby shm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Kenneth Grahame wrote Wind in the Willows. In the annotated version of the book (which my father-in-law has) it has all these biographical details from biographies and Grahame's own essays etc. down the margins at appropriate points in the story.

Here is his recipe for perfect coffee:

"Put a freshly-ground full desert-spoonful into a perfectly dry, clean fireproof china saucepan - leave it to warm gently - while in the other china saucepan (these 2 are only for coffee). Bring a full pint of milk nearly to the boil, and when first on the point of boiling, pour into the saucepan containing the coffee - do this very carefully & gently as it bubbles and splashes up - let it boil for 4 minutes, and then strain through muslin and pour into a warm dry pot".

I'm thinking of trying it to see if heated grounds boiled in milk tastes like starbucks.
stuff
shm

RE: Kenneth Grahame

Postby bruceb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Sounds utterly repulsive. Good luck.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Kenneth Grahame

Postby triptogenetica » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Hmm, does sound pretty bad.

At least he recommends not using the saucepans for other things. Otherwise the taste of boiled milk might be ruined by garlic or something.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Re: RE: Kenneth Grahame

Postby bruceb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:14 pm

triptogenetica wrote:Hmm, does sound pretty bad.

At least he recommends not using the saucepans for other things. Otherwise the taste of boiled milk might be ruined by garlic or something.

Or the taste of his coffee might ruin an otherwise perfectly delicious tomato sugo. :shock: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Other Brewing Methods