Hottop filters & Spazio joy

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop filters & Spazio joy

Postby pault » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Phil - already got a number of replacement Hottop filters so am now well set for a long time.

are there any tell-tale signs that a filter's knackered? I'm too lazy to faff about trying to clean them - but I didn't want to be wasteful with the new ones I've got.

also - just drawn my first few doubles off the Spazio - it took a couple of hours for an experienced installer to sort out so I'm glad I didn't use a bog-standard plumber.

I'm working with the handicap of a plastic tamper - got various 53mm beauties winging their way to me but it's frustrating not having them now ... so am struggling to get the right pour but in terms of usability the machine's a joy

e.g. no need to worry about recovery times between shots, the trouble with the frother is too much power rather than two little, no more reservoir filling, no more drip tray emptying need I go on???

Size-wise the weirdest thing to get used to is the way the cup-warmer top surface stretches away into the distance like a football pitch :wink:

will get photos taken and do a full article on my progression from a Pavoni Pro to the BEAST - promise!!

All the best - a very happy Paul (with no kitchen space)
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:51 am

Pault : Can I ask what the problems were installing the Spazio, please? I'm looking for a plumber to do the S1 next week which is probably a similar job.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby pault » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:17 am

hi,

there were just lots of specific little fiddly things with connections to the machine etc. that the installer was half expecting because he does so many Spazios and lots of instinctive things he checked automatically as he went along - it was clear that he knew these machines inside out (literally). I've just had bad experiences with plumbers, builders etc. - maybe I'm being far too cynical.

I would try and have access to someone knowledgeable (like Phil, creep, creep) if it is a plumber doing the job just in case something machine-specific does crop up.

the guy I used is from near Doncaster and he travelled to Manchester and just charged me a bit extra. Don't know the mileage but he might be prepared to go to yours - alternatively you could get a fitter from Spazio UK- might cost you a bit more but you'll have total peace of mind ...

contact me if you need the number for my fitter ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Return to Other Brewing Methods