Cona vs Bodum Santos

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cona vs Bodum Santos

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:06 pm

I have several vac pots. I have
  • A really old Cona (a wedding present I don't really dare get out of the cupboard)
  • Two modern stove top Conas (a B and a D)
  • One solitary Bodum Santos (the glass sort - but it's on its last legs as there's a small star-shaped crack in the upper bowl)
  • I tried the electric Santos and didn't get on with it so being a mean so and so I sold it to HughF!:oops: Sorry Hugh, I hope you like it more than I did.
I thought I'd start a thread comparing the vac pots. I don't think there's enough "meat" in this to make an article. If I change my mind on that I promise I'll "do the right thing" :D

Hokay - what are the differences?

Out of the box, the Santos comes with:
  • The pot itself - the usual glass jug and globe connected with a tube with a rubber seal around it
  • The seal that keeps the coffee in the top - in this case a ribbed plastic disc held in place by a spring and chain locked to the bottom of the tube
  • A chromed wire stand to put the pot on (intended no doubt for use with the spirit lamp, but great to put the pot on when I take it off the stove).
  • A stand to hold the upper bowl when it's not in place on the jug
  • A plastic stirrer, a top for the coffee jug and a really useful "question mark shaped" cleaning brush
  • A spirit lamp
Out of the box, the (stove top) Conas come with
  • The bottom jug and the top globe
  • The seal in this case is a rinky dink glass rod
  • A stand to hold the globe when its not attached to the jug
  • Absolutely sod all else apart from a very amatuerish (looks photocopied) instruction sheet
From a UK web source, the B and D stove top Conas are respectively £54.99 and £59.99. The Santos is £49.99 from the same source.

So the Conas are slightly more expensive and don't come with lots of useful bits. Indeed, I use the cleaning brush and metal stand from my Santos when I'm using my Conas.

So the question has to be : how do they compare, performance wise, to make the Conas worth the extra? Are they in fact worth the extra?

The visible differences (apart from the bits and bobs) are:
  • The Cona has a glass rod for a filter while the Santos has a ribbed plastic disc on a metal chain
  • The tube in the Santos reaches visibly further into the pot. In practice this means more water is left behind in the Cona's jug when brewing
Afficionados say that the glass rod is a more effective filter, and that because it is more inert it affects the coffee less than the plastic and wire arrangement of the Santos. I confess I thought that sounded rather unlikely.

So, in practice, how do the pots compare?

This is a work in progress so please don't expect a complete analysis of the functional differences at this point. However, my initial impressions are:
  • The Cona leaves more water in the jug while brewing, as already described. This means that less hot water is in contact with the coffee during brewing. Well, a little less anyway. Personally I can't imagine that the very slightly more concentrated brewing environment makes much difference to the extraction. In his article on vac pots on the Coffeekid site, Mark Prince suggests that this difference is a problem but he doesn't say why IIRC. Personally I dunno. Can't imagine it makes much difference though.
  • The brew from the Cona was noticeably, yes noticeably clearer and cleaner tasting. It was actually quite a revelation. Pretty much the same sort of revelation I had when I first switched from press pots to vac pot brewing with the Santos.

Preliminary assessment: the presentation and packaging of the Cona are amateurish compared to Bodum's class effort. The Cona is more expensive. Indeed if you want the spirit lamp version then it's a lot more expensive (£94.99 / £99.99 / £104.99 respectively for the B, C & D) although then you do get the gubbins.

However, when it comes to the coffee, which is what it's all about, then my current impression is that the Cona is clearly superior. British engineering and amateurish presentation beats Danish style and professional packaging.

To be continued .....
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Re: Cona vs Bodum Santos

Postby matts » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:55 pm

phil wrote:However, when it comes to the coffee, which is what it's all about, then my current impression is that the Cona is clearly superior. British engineering and amateurish presentation beats Danish style and professional packaging.

To be continued .....

I never tried anything except a Cona but have looked a few times at the Santos and envied the little brush thingy! It can only be to do with the glass rod surely, did you try the rod in the Santos yet Phil?

Seriously there is no better way to get into vac pot IMVHO than pop along to ebay and get a Standard Kitchen model for buttons, some are a bit scruffy but there's usually anything up to half a dozen on the go at any one time.

Cheers
Matt
matts

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:40 pm

Dunno about the buttons bit Matt, every time I tracked a decent one on eBay it ended up going for seventy or eighty quid so I gave up and bought a new one for less. I only use the stove top variety anyway.

As far as the glass rod is concerned, yes I agree that's a reasonable conclusion and I already had it in mind to try that experiment.

However - something else in Cona's favour is the following. When my Santos started to show signs of not being long for this world I tried to obtain spares. Forget it. However anything is replaceable on the Cona, so the long term cost of ownership may well be cheaper if you're the kind of person who breaks things.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby matts » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:57 pm

phil wrote:Dunno about the buttons bit Matt, every time I tracked a decent one on eBay it ended up going for seventy or eighty quid so I gave up and bought a new one for less. I only use the stove top variety anyway.

The *table* models on the bakelite stand with the fancy chrome bits and the burner yes are £££ (unless you get given one like me :D ), I'm not talking about those ones, just the 'Standard Kitchen' model 2 pints for the stovetop.

Interested in your results with the rod in the Santos, let us know

Cheers
Matt
matts

Cona by a mile!

Postby pault » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:11 pm

To cut to the chase - I wouldn't use the bunsen burner type ones far too complicated

I like the simplicity of the Cona - and the glass rod not only seems to make the coffee taste better - it just looks and feels a lot nicer to use.

perfect combo would be the Cona stovetop and nick a brush off a Bodum owner when they're not looking!!!!

cheers,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby quink » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:50 am

If anyones looking for a glass rod that fits a santos look on ebay for a "cory rod" normally on sale in america for less than $10 and are aparantly a perfect fit for the santos. Can't say for sure as I havn't got around to buying one yet. They look pretty sturdy so should survive the trip over
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby phil » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:21 pm

James & Matt

I tried putting a Cona rod into a Santos this morning. I was struck by how much wider the Santos tube is than that on the Cona. That said, the rod *did* fit - it didn't drop through.

I didn't brew with it however - I got my shiny new "D"-type stove top and used that instead. I was in a bit of a rush to get to work and I didn't want to risk a disaster. When I have more time (Sunday?) I'll try brewing with this combination. If it works, any Santos owner (who doesn't also have a Cona) would be recommended to speak to our usual Cona retailer and to get him to get some spare glass rods in stock.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby quink » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:32 am

Will definetly be looking forward to the outcome of this Phil,
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV