The beauty of pour-over

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The beauty of pour-over

Postby michel » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:01 pm

I really like a fancy, complicated espresso-machine which costs loads of money... I can enjoy (unfortunately not afford) these original-special-made-just-for-you espressomachine's... But, on the other hand, there is the most simple, most pure (not most delicate...) way of preparing a coffee: the pour-over! I really, really like this method of just pouring some 97 degrees water over coffee-grounds and have a good cup of coffee... But, It looks as if I'm not capable of making the right roast/blend for that perfect cup... All the pour-overs I've made are a bit washy, except when I roast some of the beans really dark... but then the problem is: where has the taste gone... not in my cup..?
So if there is any of you who has any experience with home-roasting for pour-over... I would appreciate the advice, as in my imagination a cup could smell really aromatic, taste full of fruits, nuts, chocolate aso, while the body is heavy as 'cream'... In the real: the body is everything but thick, the taste is everything but full and the smell is... well there is no smell to be accurate.

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:12 pm

I never really drank a cup of pourover that had any creaminess. Pour over can smell nice in some instances, but I've never known it to taste nice.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:41 pm

That's some sort of comfort... some sort of relief for me...
Thanks Raf.

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby phil » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:43 pm

I have to say I prefer french press, with vac pot a close second (we're talking no espresso brewing methods here of course!)

I almost never use my Swissgold single cup filters.
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:48 am

I enjoy French Press, too, although I never quite seem to get it right (if anybody could post their procedure, I'd appreciate it). Never tried a vac pot, and I don't even know what a Swissgold is.

What I usually use is a my stove-top, single-shot moka pot.
Attachments
stove-top-maker.gif
stove-top-maker.gif (22.56 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
DrZeus

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:44 pm

A Swissgold is a golden coffeefilter that does not require paper filter bags. So the coffee does not get any paper-aromas. Swissgold is the brand. I have four single-cup filters at home for sampling, although I have never used them.

I do not know how to roast and blend proper filter coffee. I would love to try it though. Truth is, that I still have so much green beans for espresso that I don't want to order any new beans yet.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:23 pm

---Truth is, that I still have so much green beans for espresso that I don't want to order any new beans yet---
But Sunnyfield (I'd like to call you by your first name...more intimate: :wink: ), all beans are the same... this is: there is no special espresso-bean, no special vac-pot bean or whatever... So no excuses, go and try!
Michel
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:50 pm

You try some Java for espresso. Good luck to you, mate!

Still some beans are better suited for certain methods. Perhaps I should try indeed! :)
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:47 pm

Edward,
Are you angry with me? I dont hope so, because I did not meant to... It's just that - as far as my experience reaches... - all beans are perfect for espresso (or other methods, while the difference is in the roasting - most of the times darker for espresso, but, as I seem not capable of making a good roast for pourover... who am I to talk out loud..?). I know the Mocha-Java(I'm not able to buy real Java in the Netherlands... any hint would be helpfull!) blend is historicaly only used for 'filter-drip' I think it's great for espresso.

Michel
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:54 pm

No, not in the least, why would I? That's why I used a smiley... perhaps I should have used two smileys, one for each paragraph. :)

But spelling my name wrong DOES make me angry! :lol:
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:59 pm

And for the second time... DAMN I'm feeling :oops:

happy with you not being angry though :D

Michel
michel

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:01 pm

I know its a few threads back but I love stove tops. there is something very natural and basic that come through into the cup. I too would love a REALLY expensive espresso machien but cant really justify it. So the next best thing (better than a cheap machine) is the stove top
Steve
Founder Member

Postby walts » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:43 pm

Sad business this being short of the reddiers to afford the right gear for brewing espresso. I should know, seeing as I have to struggle with my pension. But I was quite taken with Dr Zeus and his stove top mokka pot. Now thats what I would call a neat piece of gear and leaves me wondering just what sort of coffee it actually makes. Maybe Dr Zeus would enlighten us on the quality of the cup he can brew from it. Thin, Thick, Aromatic, Flat, Etc. Dare I wait in anticipation? Looks as though it might command a high price too, or am I wrong. Regards Walt.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:04 pm

I too would love a REALLY expensive espresso machien but cant really justify it.

:shock:

So what is the Spaziale then? a cheap one? :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:12 pm

Ah but that was a year ago Simon!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member