Stove Top Moka

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stove Top Moka

Postby martinh » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:15 pm

I have a simple stove top Bialetti Moka, From what i gather the brewed taste is lighter than espresso, (because of pressure & packing the grinds in) and stronger than press pots or filters.
martinh

Postby simonp » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:31 pm

It's what most Italians use in the home for coffe I gather, few have pump espresso machines.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby moccafaux » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:26 am

I am not so sure about the brew being lighter. Myself i feel there is much more bitterness.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby zix » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:45 pm

moccafaux wrote:I am not so sure about the brew being lighter. Myself i feel there is much more bitterness

nope, me neither. Not necessarily weaker, but more bitter. Using very freshly roasted coffee helps, both for strength and less bitterness. Try tasting moka with newly roasted and cooled coffee, then one day after and two days after. To my palate there is a difference each day, but the first 2-4 days are the best. For the bean type that can stand it, a darker roast is better (dark espresso to french roast).
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Terje » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:44 pm

zix wrote:nope, me neither. Not necessarily weaker, but more bitter. Using very freshly roasted coffee helps, both for strength and less bitterness. Try tasting moka with newly roasted and cooled coffee, then one day after and two days after. To my palate there is a difference each day, but the first 2-4 days are the best. For the bean type that can stand it, a darker roast is better (dark espresso to french roast).

This is what I've gathered so far... to get a better moka or to be specific, one that isn't as bitter... lighter roasts than I used to do... do not pack the coffee in the filter, leave some space... low heat, really low heat... there is not supposed to be any sound when the coffee comes oozing up... if you hear a "pfloffing" sound you're making it with too much heat... when you're getting it right you'll have a crema on top in the pot... it won't last when you pour it in the cup for the most part but you should aim for it... I haven't tried beans that have been older that one day, so maybe there's something great still there for me to discover... I just never get around to it... I just roast, grind and drink...
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby zix » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:36 pm

Something to discover with older beans than one day? Don´t think so. Possibly with some beans - the monsoon malabar is the only one I can think of.
Naah, in my opinion you are on the spot. Low heat, no tamping, fresh beans. Nice!

Only beans that can take the heat should be brought to those dark roasts - a colombia, dry-processed ethiopian or a yemeni perhaps.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Terje » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:21 pm

zix wrote:Naah, in my opinion you are on the spot. Low heat, no tamping, fresh beans. Nice!

I live in Rinkeby, if that says anything to you. Mainly that means that more or less all of my neighbors are Africans. And fresh is the only way they'll drink their coffee.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby zix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:55 pm

Oh, I have lived in one of the Göteborg equivalents to Rinkeby (only smaller) so yes, it rings a bell. Perhaps a bit too far to travel for a cup of Brikka brew then.
zix

Return to Other Brewing Methods