Eva Solo

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Eva Solo

Postby Bombcup » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:24 am

Can anybody explain how on earth Eva Solo justify charging £50 for a 'coffee maker' which can be replicated using just about any vessel you can find in your kitchen paired with a strainer?

Am I missing something? Surely this is just 'cowboy coffee' made in a posh bottle with a snazzy jacket. I'm not saying it's not a good brewing method, it just seems a little unneccesary. Many people have reported how good it is, but isn't my old fashioned enamel coffee pot bought for £1 at a car boot sale, or even a pyrex jug with an improvised lid just as good?
Bombcup

RE: Eva Solo

Postby lukas » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:17 am

I think so. But they look really nice and a selling point is that they don't drip (which is not true. I had one drop on my table when I was using one!). Oh yes and they really look nice ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Eva Solo

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:19 am

Simply functional sensuality. I love touching it and feeling the contours... so smooth and curvy. A lovely showpiece on the breakfast table (and I'm too busy cooking to be pulling shots) and gets the discussion going on 'good' coffee :)

That and well... designer brand name... is, like most other things, what you pay for :(

There are lots of things about that are like the ES... like decanters... why? "Aerating" the wine? Why not just pour it into a shallow bowl and dump it back in the bottle with a funnel? How about shoe horns? Why not use your finger or the handle of a spoon? Then there's jewellery (what's the big deal? :roll:), pens, shampoo, hairdressers, clothing, handbags, suitcases, shoes (but I do love shoes)!! I guess you can sell stuff for whatever price people are willing to pay.

Hmmm Lukas, I never had a problem with it dripping or anything.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Terje » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:41 pm

My mom bought me one. Way too expensive for what it is. They drip if you are not careful when you pour and sure, any other cup/bottle/bucket would do the job if combined with a strainer...

... but they do look nice.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby fred25 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 am

Terje wrote:Way too expensive for what it is.
... but they do look nice.

Story of my wife... I mean my life. :lol:

(I'll get my coat now, before she finds out and fetches the whip! :shock:)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Return to Other Brewing Methods