A few moka pots unpacked

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A few moka pots unpacked

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 pm

I mentioned awhile back that I have a moka pot with porcelain top. Here it is...and a few others, two that are enameled and a "Star Wars" model that Karin bought me for my 50th birthday a couple of years back. :oops:

I have been unpacking some stuff and found a whole crate full of moka pots and other coffee prizes. I'll post some pictures when I get them all together and cleaned up a bit. :)
Attachments
Nice_ones_01.jpg
A few nice pots.
Nice_ones_01.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 14004 times
Porcelain_Moka_Pot.jpg
Porcelain top made in Delft NL.
Porcelain_Moka_Pot.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 14004 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby espressomattic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:00 am

Very pretty Bruce. I do like the Dutch artwork, very 19th Century. Are they aluminium bases on them?
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:36 am

Yes, normal aluminium bases like on the standard ones. The modern looking one is powder coated aluminium.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby espressomattic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 am

How do you find that effects taste? I have never got on with Alu Moka Pots as they always seemed to leave a metallic taste in the coffee...? Have you ever tried a stainless steel version?
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:49 am

I have 6 or 7 stainless steel ones as well. I've never noticed a difference in taste, but the coffee I've made with all moka pots has always tasted like rubbish.

Many years ago before the espresso gods visited me I drank all my coffee from moka pots. I thought it was espresso and I thought espresso always tasted bitter and vile (because that's the way it tasted in restaurants). I added lots of microwaved milk and sugar and thought it was wonderful. I would jump out of bed at 6 AM so I could go fix one and I salivated while the black tar bubbled up in the stainless steel moka pot. Since joining TMC I realise that I didn't have good coffee and never really learned how to use the moka pot correctly, but since my stomach really only does well on espresso I haven't bothered trying. Now that I've unearthed my collection I'll try again.
bruceb

Postby zapty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:07 am

Nice, would love to see some pics of the rest of your "coffee" collection....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Aadje » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:23 am

Delfts blue moka pots, nice to see :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby BazBean » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:40 pm

I am desperate to see the Star Wars one ..
:D
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:55 pm

May the moka pot be with you ......... :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Gorgeous, ive never seen a Moka pot like that.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Re: RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby Odello » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 pm

NordicNed wrote:How do you find that effects taste? I have never got on with Alu Moka Pots as they always seemed to leave a metallic taste in the coffee...? Have you ever tried a stainless steel version?

Dear guys, you know I am Italian and you are touching one of our (last) national symbols :lol:

Let's say that alu is better because of the heat conduction, it is slower. When you use a moka you should take care of several different details, if you want I can go through them here.

In my opinion moka is very good at preparing single origins coffee, which are very delicate.
* Freelance journalist for Coffee Taster (IIAC's newsletter), Mixer, L'Assaggio
Odello

RE: Re: RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:21 pm

if you want I can go through them here

Please do, as a moka pot owner I'm quite interested. And I'm sure others are too.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby lukas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:05 am

Me too! I have my routine (though I don't use one regularily currently), but I'd like to see what your's is first :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Brummie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm

I agree moka pots can't beat the real espresso from a nice machine.... But since my motor bike does not supply the means to take my Spaz with me.. (and believe I would if I could)... Using a moka pot together with a fuel burner gives me a reasonable alternative. And I can make it anywhere on the way. I just need to make sure I bring a water bottle, ground coffee and petrol......And the borner of course :D

And Bruce, I must say that is a beatifull collection!!
La Spaziale S1 Mk2 | before that: Espressa Mini (Euro 2000 Jr) | Mazzer Mini E - Model A | Hottop Digital | Lava and Beyond-the-Bean and a real HasBean tamper | Motta steam jug/pitcher | ex-gf constantly monitoring my coffee progression ;)
Brummie

Re: RE: Re: RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 am

Brummie wrote:But since my motor bike does not supply the means to take my Spaz with me.. (and believe I would if I could)... Using a moka pot together with a fuel burner gives me a reasonable alternative. And I can make it anywhere on the way. I just need to make sure I bring a water bottle, ground coffee and petrol......And the borner of course :D

Aeropress? And no, I'm not gonna recommend that handjob with the dodgy foam thingy! :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods