A few moka pots unpacked

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby Brummie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:53 pm

If only I had one :( Beany took it with her.... So I think I need to buy a new one :D
That would be a good alternative. Although a moka pot is easier. especially when you need to make larger quantities. Whenever we are camping with the whole club they stand in line to get their first cuppa..... I have the 12 cups version of the moka pot. And I can serve quite a few coffees with that.

But only on holidays :D never at home........
La Spaziale S1 Mk2 | before that: Espressa Mini (Euro 2000 Jr) | Mazzer Mini E - Model A | Hottop Digital | Lava and Beyond-the-Bean and a real HasBean tamper | Motta steam jug/pitcher | ex-gf constantly monitoring my coffee progression ;)
Brummie

Re: RE: Re: RE: A few moka pots unpacked

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
Brummie wrote:But since my motor bike does not supply the means to take my Spaz with me.. (and believe I would if I could)... Using a moka pot together with a fuel burner gives me a reasonable alternative. And I can make it anywhere on the way. I just need to make sure I bring a water bottle, ground coffee and petrol......And the borner of course :D

Aeropress? And no, I'm not gonna recommend that handjob with the dodgy foam thingy! :lol:

This is too much and I protest. Now you have gone over the score you....you...pervert!

Disgusted of Auchtermuchty.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Odello » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Here you are the guidelines for getting a great coffee from your moka:
a) fill in the heater (I mean the lower part of the moka pot) till the level indicated (you need 50 ml per coffee). In case the level is not indicated, you can look at the centre of the valve;
b) fill in the filter with the coffee, do not press, just be careful it is all at the same level;
c) remove the powder from the border;
d) if you use gas to heat the moka, be sure the fire is always under the moka and does not touch lateral parts of it;
e) turn the fire off just when all the coffee has come out;
f) mix the coffee in the moka with a tea spoon so that it gets homogeneous

You can wash your moka with neutral detergent, leave it in open air to dry. From time to time take a look at the upper filter and at the rubber seal.

I hope these brief guidelines will help you getting wonderful coffees from your moka.
* Freelance journalist for Coffee Taster (IIAC's newsletter), Mixer, L'Assaggio
Odello

Postby Aadje » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:17 pm

What grind do you suggest for the moka?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby zix » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:20 pm

A good list there, Odello!
I am not italian, so perhaps you might be inclined to ignore my comments regarding moka pot use, but here goes anyway:
On e) I would suggest: turn the heat off after the first drops have come out. If you have a fast gas oven, turning the flame down (not extinguishing it) when you see coffee coming out might be a better idea. A slow, even extraction is better than a fast one.
You might also try not to drink the last third or so, instead, pour the first two thirds up into the cup(-s) while coffee is still oozing out . Personally, I think the last part tastes bitter and watery anyway, losing this means you get a stronger and sweeter brew.
Stirring with a spoon is a really good idea, if you drink all of it. The brew should be mixed, and it is true that it really isn't (unless you let it sit for several minutes so the convection fixes the mix, but then it will be cold when you finally get to drink it...).

Grind for a moka pot should not be too fine. Espresso is too fine. You will be better off with fresh, even very fresh coffee, coarser ground. The Brikka moka pot is another story, it can take a finer grind.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Aadje » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:10 pm

I think the last part tastes bitter and watery anyway, losing this means you get a stronger and sweeter brew.

This depends on the size of the moka pot, small moka post make better coffee than large ones. The small ones have a better 'amount of coffee-brewtime' ratio.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby zix » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 pm

True.
I still do the same thing on my 2-cup Brikka. Still get the difference.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby double_shot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks for the tips guys very handy...I have just got two moka pots one ally 'n one stain less as I was not sure about the ally taint. So I covered my bases.

I ran one brew in each pot to season and clean them just in case they needed a flush being new.

Then I went for it brew one...holly cow it was not good! Scratched first attempt down the drain they went (now I know what an Expresso is) humm.

Take two was a little better I could drink it this time. I think I may have had the heat too high on the first run. After reading this thread I also think the grind was too fine a lake of grinder will hinder me so I will be shopping for more ground coffee tomorrow single bean I think or I maybe I will just grab a mixture of blends and grinds.

Now this bit I'm not clear on when should I take the heat off? At the first sign of the coffee rising ? or should I just drop the burner back to the lowest setting at that point? (Gas by the way)

Tricky little brew method this one! Going by the volume of units manufactured and sold it must produce a nice brew in the right hands just not in mine obviously.

Cheers.
double_shot

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:42 am

I don't think one should compare coffee made with a Moka pot with espresso as they are two different things really. I do believe the the Moka can make very good coffee if the method is correct. I have found that a light tamp with the base of the measuring spoon, combined with a very low heat and the removal of the pot before it boils does the trick. No hint of bitterness but a mellow, full taste with plenty of body. If the coffee is allowed to overheat then bitterness will be present.
I also think that most people tend to use too much heat and I have the gas on its lowest setting after filling with pre-heated water.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Aadje » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:34 am

I really like the moka pot for delivering a steaming hot cup of coffee.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby zix » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Mr double shot, you will need freshly ground beans for the moka pot to shine.
The difference is amazing.
Regarding extraction, yes, take it off the heat or turn burner down low - whichever produces a slow but steady pour into the upper half.
Be especially careful with the heat on the stainless moka pot. You may also like to try my earlier described "stopping early" method. In any case, watch the heat closely and try to avoid burp and burble (boiling) from the pot! GeorgeW already said it, but... The last part often gets some of that, but after a while you´ll learn the drill.
zix

Postby lastcoyote » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:48 pm

i've been thinking recently about replacing my manky old moka pot with a bialetti and giving this brewing method a chance again. just been reading the old topic on getting 'huge crema' from a moka pot. something i've never seen..and as i'm not a home roaster...yet! :) probably wont see even with speedy delivery from mr hasbean.
now from what i've read...stainless steel is the way to go, though i guess this is arguable. looking at sweet marias..they sure seem to favour the bialetti musa pot. do any of you guys and gals have experience with the musa? or any other recommendations for the moka pot i should consider? i just want a small moka...3 cup max really.
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Gislipals » Sat May 03, 2008 5:32 pm

lots of very informed opinions here on the moka pot.

I posted this thread today on hb.com:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/moka ... t6923.html

Some of the questions have been answered here, but any more info, especially regarding the more exotic Bialetti models would rock :)
LM GS3, Macap M7k, IR2

Shopping cart: Probatino/Diedrich HR
Gislipals

Postby zix » Sat May 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Well, my answer there won't be of much use to you then, if you already read this thread... :evil:
Get a Brikka, or if you will, a Muse, and never mind the other alu Bialettis. Their aluminium is, how should I put it... less than perfect. But at least, the Brikka is fun, and different.
P.S. We have soft water where I live. D.S.
zix

Postby Gislipals » Sat May 03, 2008 10:18 pm

:evil:

Thanks dude, now I really want to make a half/half pot and check the taste of the two parts of the extraction process. O.o maybe I'll go do that right now with some Yemen San'ani...

Brikka looks to be worth trying, though I'm sure I'll butcher the aluminium if it's as poorly made as you suggest
LM GS3, Macap M7k, IR2

Shopping cart: Probatino/Diedrich HR
Gislipals

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods