Which vac pot for Christmas?!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby egraaf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Also, this is a really pretty vac pot :D

It is quite nice, but is it as good as the original vac pots where the coffee only ever touches glass, and nothing else?
Izzo Vivi, La Cimbali Junior grinder, Aeropress, Zassenhaus manual grinder
egraaf

Postby zix » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks, Neo! Thanks, Beanie!
The burner looks good, it might just be low enough to fit under the cona. A much more suitable design than the other camping stove gas burners I have seen.
Some kind of diffuser, a wire mesh or something like that, might make it work even if there is less than an inch of clearance.

Nice, modern design on that kahva vac pot. Not bad!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Jules » Thu May 01, 2008 10:45 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:How about something like this with this?

Also, this is a really pretty vac pot :D

Shipping to the UK is $50 for the $30 burner unfortunately. It takes a good while to boil preheated water using the meth burner. Maybe I should have gone for the stovetop version.

The brew from my Hario is ideal for my thermos mug. I was surprised today by how tasty and hot it was after a 45 minute commute.
Jules

Postby zix » Fri May 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Yes, it is a shame about the shipping price. Haven't ordered it yet, we´re a bit broke this month.
With regards to heating times, the Trangia burner I am using right now (nicked it from my camping stove of course) is about three times faster than the original burner. Fast, easy to extinguish with the lid. But it soots, and the flame gets a little too close to the glass for me to feel comfortable about using it.
Surely, a gas burner would be a lot better.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Jules » Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I tried a little trick I use with my crappy electric stove. I put a small amount of water in the lower bowl and started heating it with the Hario burner just before I turned the kettle on. Once the water in the kettle was ready it went straight into the lower bowl. It didn't start boiling straight away but reached simmering point much more quickly.

I got some nice results today. I attached the upper bowl at simmering point, adding coffee as the water kicked up, then a good stir after the gurgle, 30 second steep and it was good. Tweaking is kinda fun especially when there's a nice brew after. :)
Jules

Postby Bombcup » Fri May 02, 2008 11:57 pm

I got some nice results today. I attached the upper bowl at simmering point, adding coffee as the water kicked up, then a good stir after the gurgle, 30 second steep and it was good. Tweaking is kinda fun especially when there's a nice brew after.

Couldn't agree more, it's been fun getting the vac-pot after gaining some technique with espresso. It's satisfying when you spot flaws in the taste and solve them next time using techniques learned on the espresso machine. Sometimes I get carried away thinking I've finally got the hang of all this only to be slapped firmly down by the next overextracted brew. It would be boring if it was easy.
Bombcup

Postby Jules » Sat May 03, 2008 10:50 am

Wonderchunder wrote:Couldn't agree more, it's been fun getting the vac-pot after gaining some technique with espresso. It's satisfying when you spot flaws in the taste and solve them next time using techniques learned on the espresso machine. Sometimes I get carried away thinking I've finally got the hang of all this only to be slapped firmly down by the next overextracted brew. It would be boring if it was easy.

Funny you should mention that, this morning's brew was a little overextracted, but I was impatient and attacked the upper bowl too early; the kickup was slower and so my timing was off. Still it tasted pretty nice but not as nuanced as I would have liked.
Jules

Postby Bombcup » Sun May 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Woohoo just bagged a Fluke 51 thermometer for £11 on fleabay. Hopefuly I can say goodbye to my vacpot woes.
Bombcup

Postby lastcoyote » Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:How about something like this with this?

I really want one of those Butane Micro Burner's for my cona vac pot!!!!

Is there really no one selling these in the UK? :(
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby lastcoyote » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my new baby!
I've managed to get a real nice condition Classic Cona size no. 2A :D
It's a 1.5 pint volume, so equivalent to a new Cona size C. It's seems surprisingly bigger than my Cona size B. I really love the stands on the old classics though. More space underneath too for a mini gas burner, which i've also managed to get hold of now.

Check out the photo's:

Cool huh! 8)
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Thats a hell of a lot of coffee <rubs hands> :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lastcoyote » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 pm

hi steve!
it's nice isn't it!
the third photo down looks like there's tonnes of coffee grounds in it but it's just that half of the water has made it's way up to the funnel. but yeah 1.5 pints is a fair amount of coffee. good for 2 to 4 people. or just for me when i'm feeling like i need that extra caffeine boost! :shock: :D

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:39 am

Fantastic LC! :D Hey, I love your decor too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am

thanks cakey! :D
it's really a lovely bit of kit. more 'science lab' than the newer cona table models. i love the completely round bowl look with the square'ish funnel.
i've not used the mini gas burner yet as i need to get a butane refill canister to fill it up, but it looks and feels like good quality, pretty heavy.

yeah i like my decor too :lol:
only thing my living room needs now is to remove the 32" crt and replace with the new pioneer 37" full hd lcd! :P

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 pm

I can help you 'recycle' any unwanted lcd 'junk' ;) :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods