French press

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm

"I dont-believe-it"

Five cups today, Hmmm, from an early start of two cups looks like I'm heading for 'overload'.

So, the Aerobie removes absolutely all the sludge, Oh-yes, it certainly does, presumably the sludge has no position when it comes to taste so right now I need to do back-to-back comparisons just to make sure I'm not following a blinkered path.

Early opinion from me is that some taste has gone from the 'press coffee', maybe that's a good thing.

Other news is, I doubt I would have survived today without good coffee, in the proccess of re-configuring a new Mac I made a mess of the migration procedure and lost a pile of unimportant imformation, (Depending on your view) I got very-very frustrated and tired from mental stress but the coffee, good coffee, got me through.

French-press V Aerobie then, Oh-yes, and thanks to Steve for his zippy service.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby al_bongo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:30 pm

There's always one, but I don't really understand, what seems to me, to be the universal appeal of the Aeropress. Yes it can make a good cup of coffee but, for me, it is quite unlike either espresso or a good "traditionally" brewed coffee. Is this the appeal?

Understand the sludge debate with French Press but for me the best compromise has to be the Chemex drip brewer (cleaning of vacuum pot precludes regular use for me). For me the Chemex lays bare the full range of flavour of a coffee without perhaps the body of F/P.

For work and travel the 1x2 Melitta filter cone has a lot going for it. Consistent cup, which I personally fail to achieve with an Aeropress.

PS I have read every single thread on using the Aeropress on here and on coffeegeek, and played around extensively with the many variables before deciding its not what I'm looking for in a coffee maker.
al_bongo

Postby lukas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:46 pm

No need to excuse for that. For me, the aeropress is the most simple and fool-proof brewing method. But that does not take into account the many brews that I misdid in finding the best working (for me) regime. What I find intruiging is the fact that I get a real full-flavored brew in such a short time without too much hassle.
(If I would have taken the time to figure it out for other methods, probably I would prefer other methods though)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Steve wrote:
Gouezeri wrote:So far my aeropress has been with me to 3300m... next year the objective is 4554m :D That said, I've had pretty good espresso around 3000m before!

4554m I laugh at such lowlands, try 6100m thats fun the water even boils quicker :)

Well, tis the highest place I can spend the night and have a proper roof over me head in europe :P
Looks like I;m gonna need a pid for the aeropress... and a titanium zass :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Pressure cooker? :)

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 am

Al Bongo I think the appeal of the aeropress is in its brewed coffee for me. It doesn't "do" espresso but as brewed coffee its the closest thing I've found to the Clover taste.

I also like its portability and its variability. Depending on grind and extraction time you can have a radically different cup, unlike any other brewing method I've tried (even more so than espresso).

Its just different and I like that.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:13 pm

al_bongo wrote: I don't really understand, what seems to me, to be the universal appeal of the Aeropress. Yes it can make a good cup of coffee but, for me, it is quite unlike either espresso or a good "traditionally" brewed coffee. Is this the appeal?

Can I add my 'very-early-experience opinion', I've been playing continuously with the Aeropress alongside my favoured 2-cup French press. Both produce better coffee than I drank prior to roasting my own beans. Even my poor roasts produced better coffee with those two fairly basic methods of brewing coffee that the ubiquitous espresso.

I have tasted espresso that I didn't like on many occasions, the person that made the espresso, much like the wine salesman who sold me wine, looked down his nose at me for not enjoying what he wanted me to enjoy.

At some point in these discussions we always need to drop back to the individuals personal tastes and experiences. For example, you can hardly give any credence to my comments on taste when I need to gain lots more experience though as a learner or novice I would like to think my early experiences could help other novices and amuse those that have been-there before.

Do you know what I would love to do, meet some of you so you could drink my coffee and say, " that is a shxxxte cup of coffee, have some of this. The main reason I joined this forum was that I do have pals and acquaintances that make 'good-coffee' though I drink better coffee since I joined this forum.

This is all an observational comment though it's starting to sound like critique, I'm doing my best and thanks to you lot I bounce out of bed in the morning looking forward to my coffee.

Really, no-kidding.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby johnny » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 am

Well it finally happened ..... thismorning the espresso grind clogged the french press and I shot boiling coffee over me and the kitchen as I forced the plunger down. :oops:

so to keep on time I forwent the second of toast and instead opened the cupboard, got the Gaggia MDF out, set it to 10 and ground some more beans.

A lot better taste ... its a lot cleaner with a course grind and 4 mins as opposed to a fine gring and short brew.
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:37 pm

johnny wrote:Well it finally happened ..... thismorning the espresso grind clogged the french press and I shot boiling coffee over me and the kitchen as I forced the plunger down. :oops:

Classic, all over your shirt ? Angry ? :D
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby lukas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:10 pm

That's the punishment for constant misusing :twisted:
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:58 pm

I finally decided I cant tell the difference between coffee out of the press and out of the Aerobie, yes the Aerobie produces less sludge but if I get the grind right then even the press isn't giving me enough sludge to worry about.

I fitted the Aerobie paper filters to my 2-cup press, perfect size and I trap the paper between the SS filter and the last plate. Works a treat.

I'm not knocking the Aerobie, just an observational comment, quite frankly I took my whirly blade grinder out of retirement so when I'm busy I can knock a cuppa up more quickly.

5 cups today :shock:
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby johnny » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:35 am

lukas wrote:That's the punishment for constant misusing :twisted:

Yes the coffee gods beared their wrath upon me that morning.

In penance I have offered then perfect french press and a toasted bagle every monging since and a couple of lattes and an espresso in the evenings.

I think I am forgiven

As for my coffee stained clothes and burnt nipples ...... meh who cares, I handed my resignation in last week, so coming in to the office in a stained t-shirt is not noticable beneath my vocal lack of respect for anything in the office and my continual smoking and drinking beer at my desk ;)
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:28 pm

johnny wrote:
lukas wrote:That's the punishment for constant misusing :twisted:

Yes the coffee gods beared their wrath upon me that morning.

In penance I have offered then perfect french press and a toasted bagle every monging since and a couple of lattes and an espresso in the evenings.

I think I am forgiven

As for my coffee stained clothes and burnt nipples ...... meh who cares, I handed my resignation in last week, so coming in to the office in a stained t-shirt is not noticable beneath my vocal lack of respect for anything in the office and my continual smoking and drinking beer at my desk ;)

your jobs sounds nice :lol:
Neo

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods