Vac pot sticking - new burrs required

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Vac pot sticking - new burrs required

Postby phil » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:53 pm

I mentioned a while back that my vac pot has suddenly started sticking on a regular basis. At first I just thought it was the coffee I was using, but it's happened with everything I've tried since. Prior to this starting, my coffee would normally "go south" in around 30 seconds. Now it's almost totally stuck after a few seconds.

I don't like over-brewed coffee (which is what I'm now getting), and whilst my little Zass 169 is great when I'm on holiday away from home it is a lot of trouble for my morning brew.

I stripped my Rocky down this afternoon. I still use the Rocky for brewed coffee as my superb new La Spaziale Lusso is an espresso-only grinder.

Stripping Rocky was a worthwhile exercise as there was a lot of coffee in there (even though I clean the thing out really thoroughly after every use). It also gave me an opportunity to examine the burrs.

Really smooth! :cry: I wonder if I've been grinding stones? No wonder my Lusso gives such awesomely better results - it's a great grinder anyway, and Rocky's burrs are worn out after only 18 months :-(

So - anyone any ideas how much for a new set of Rocky burrs? I presume the Coffee Machine Company is the place to go.

In the mean time I'll be reverting to french press for brewed coffee as it's less sensitive (and less clear tasting too :-() and also drinking lots of espresso.

Any other Rocky users out there, I'll keep you informed.

Phil
Last edited by phil on Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Unless of course anyone knows where I can get a decent second-hand Ditting? :D

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby cleverdic » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:44 pm

Phil,
At least your Vac pot is still in one piece. 8) My Cona Vacpot, which I only got a few months ago, was dropped (not by me) and the bowl is now in 3 pieces. :cry: It's not repairable
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby phil » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:37 am

Richard :

Devastated to hear about your Cona. I know I'd be really upset if that happened to mine.

Everyone :

I've got a new burr set for the Rocky coming from the Coffee Machine Company. About UKP35 plus VAT plus P&P. We'll see whether this helps my vac pot.

I met up with Ian (Ian Ian!) yesterday and had a couple of beers. Nice bloke. We had a good chat (mostly about coffee of course). He asked me if I had used rice in my Rocky. The answer is yes, quite a few times. Hmmmmm - I know Joey disapproves, but I'd always found rice a good way to get off the excess oils. However I don't think I'll use any on my lovely La Spaziale though (and anyway the burrs are very easy to get to for cleaning).

Will keep you updated.

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:02 am

Ian's question about rice is a bit worrying. I've seen a few posts on the SM list both for and against using rice, some suggested partly-cooked rice (minute rice) wouldn't be as hard as uncooked. I was thinking of using Grape Nuts cereal on my Rocky after one SM post suggested it and noone disagreed, unlike rice. Certainly the grinder is overdue for a serious cleaning.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:14 pm

Just a quick f y i - I can confirm the price of the burrs as they and the invoice both arrived at the end of last week. GBP 35 plus 6.50 carriage plus VAT - total cost GBP 48.77 CIF Swindon.

Am about to fit them today. It'll be a couple or three days before I confirm (or otherwise) the improvement as I haven't had any coffee suitable for brewing (rather than espresso) around for a while. :-(

Cheers

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:51 pm

That's darn tough rice you must be using Phil! These burrs look like you've been filing them down, there as smooth as the proverbial baby's..... either that or you're roasting them beans a little too long in your hottop... :D
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby phil » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:56 pm

Bearing in mind the shape and general physical appearance of the burrs, apart from the colour that's a very graphic image indeed Dom :roll: (If you don't get it please don't ask - I'm not going to explain that one!)

Italian Arborio btw. Should have used pre-cooked American. D'ohhh!

At least the new ones are sharp!

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods