One cup French Press

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

One cup French Press

Postby DC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Hello,

Just wondered if people here use a 1cup French Press differently to a larger one? Normally in a 32oz press I use 7g coffee/4oz water and steep for 3.5mins, press for 30 seconds, but for a 1-cup (takes about 10oz water) this doesn't seem to work as well.

Dave
DC

RE: One cup French Press

Postby oddlight » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:03 pm

I use 2 normal sized coffee scoops (approx 15g I guess?) for my 3 cup (which is really a 1 mug - is this the same as yours?) FP with good results. I leave for 3 minutes (or however long it takes me to sort things out), press, then drink.

What problem do you have with the coffee?

Is the FP really clean, particularly the mesh? Is the coffee ground too fine? Some coffees taste better as espresso than fp.

~A
oddlight

Postby DC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:22 pm

Yeah I meant 3 cup (i was thinking 1 mug :oops: ).

I keep the FP clean etc. The coffee just tasted muddier and slightly bitter compared to when I make it in the larger press... I'll try it with ~15g and see if that improves it (was using 18-20g)
Dave
DC

Postby lukas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:15 am

Hi Dave! Using approx. 14 gram should improve the taste. For brewed coffee, the rule of thumb is approx. 55grams of coffee per liter of water, that makes it 14 grams per 250ml. Works very well for me!

Also, after you found out how much to use is best for you, you might try playing around with grind fineness vs. steep time :)
Sometimes I like finder grind and a very short steep time (max. 1 minute), other times the "normal" way, a coarser grind and 3-4 minutes steep time. And don't forget to stir :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:16 am

Hi Dave, I also find that I get better results with larger sizes of French Press and better results with a full press than using it half full. After some experimenting I found that the ‘aspect ratio’ of the French Press makes a difference. The smaller diameter/longer length ones work best for me. I think this may have something to do with the fact that these have a relatively deeper bed of coffee grounds for a given quantity of coffee with more of this bed submerged in the brew water.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby al_bongo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I use a generous 7g/4oz. Must admit tho I gave up on the 3 cupper, not quite enough for a 12oz mug, especially with the bloom you get from fresh coffee.

Settled on the size up: 0.5l (4 cup size) and use 16oz water so not squeezing dregs out the grinds and a 3 min steep. Gr8 cuppa.

Sweet Marias web site got good section on brewing using all regular methods inc F/P.
al_bongo

Return to Other Brewing Methods