Aeropress Techniques; Water to grinds ratio in Aeropress

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Whichever method, or water volume, people use to get their 'base' coffee (before diluting etc), the standard guideline of 55 grammes of coffee solids per litre of water would be a good starting point. I don't know what volume range the AP makes ?
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby zix » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:13 pm

1-4 cups is the aeropress range.
55g/litre? Wow, that sounds like weak coffee. Is that when extracting coffee as in an Eva Solo or a FP then?

To extract more body and oils from the aeropress, people sometimes use swiss gold filters, cut to the same size as the original paper filters. I haven't quite got there yet.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gadders » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:15 pm

So what grind size do you folks use... ive read grind sizes ranging from espresso to slightly finer than FP.
Gadders

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:22 pm

55g/litre is for "brewed" coffee, obviously not for espresso ;). But it's a very good guideline for every other brewing method - go from there and tweak as you need or change coffees.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Wow! Your sig drink has a face? Image

If that doesn't win I don't know what will! :wink: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:41 pm

lukas wrote:This week I'm very happy that my sig drink at least doesn't make funny faces anymore.

bruceb wrote:Wow! Your sig drink has a face? Image

If that doesn't win I don't know what will! :wink: :lol:

Hrrmmm .... that was meant as a passive, not an active, of course ;). And it did make peoples faces look funny, trust me!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby phil2spill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 pm

lukas wrote:55g/litre is for "brewed" coffee, obviously not for espresso ;).

Good point Lukas, I just worked out espresso is more like 300 g/litre :shock: :D
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:18 pm

which is why we all love it so much :D
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby technojock » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:35 pm

I have to admit to being a tad lazy when it comes to instructions. I'm used to an FP and I've settled on grinding a couple of notches finer for the AP, filling it to "4", stirring & pressing. I fiddle with the variables a bit but I'm in the right ballpark with that, and FP converts might find it a useful starting place.

I eventually tried the AP instruction method, but it wasn't to my liking. I tried diluting it Americano style, but I preferred the method I've described above.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Postby cmorgan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:54 pm

After reading this article and experimenting, the variable that makes the biggest difference appears to be the length of timen the coffee is left to extract with 20-30 seconds being the optimum. This appears to make a bigger difference to the taste than the grind and even water temperature, which surprised me. The results that I am getting are therefore now much better (why did I assume that the instructions given with the aeropress were best?) and this has reawakened my interest in the aeropress.

So much so that I am now considering purchasing a Swiss Gold filter off hasbean and cutting it to fit the aeropress, as has been suggested here on another thread. Before I go down this route there was talk about a proprietory swiss gold (or at least metal filter) being developed for the Aeropress. Does anyone know the latest on this? Also if I do cut a swiss filter would 1 such filter do or is anyone finding they require 2 in order that the water does not go through the filter too quickly (I know some posters were advocating an inversion method to avoid this)?

Sorry to hijack this thread.
cmorgan

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 pm

I too see it as a french press replacment. Espresso it aint, just like a stove top pot isnt, but an awesome brewing method in its own rite !
Steve
Founder Member

Swiss Gold Filter

Postby cmorgan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:45 pm

I have now installed my Swiss Gold Filter in the Aeropress and I must say the results are pretty impressive. It definitely makes a significant difference to the taste (the coffee tastes to me more nutty -sorry thats the nearest description that my rather badly honed taste spuds will allow). The coffee does filter through rather too quickly so have tried the inversion method which whilst fiddly does overcome the problem. I could also try a finer grind to see if that slows the coffee filtering through, alternatively I could install two gold filters but am not sure if there is enough space.

Overall impression well worth upgrading the aeropress in this way.
cmorgan

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods