Cona Vac Pot In Pictures

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Lambo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm attempting to post my first picture so it'll probably not work - 'fraid it's not coffee!

Mod's Edit: Photo resized
Attachments
Drive 1_WEB.jpg
Drive 1_WEB.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 13377 times
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Lambo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:57 pm

I tried to size the image for the 'net - still seems a trifle large though :oops:
Sorry!

Anyway, I still want a Cona!
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:07 pm

You've got that baby and you still want ANYTHING? :shock: :lol:

Nice ride! What about that hydraulic pump? I'll bet a rotary pump from an old Faema would do the job nicely. :P
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:08 pm

That's a beautiful car..love it. Does anyone remember to Facel Vega (not sure of the spelling)? The first one I saw made a lasting impression on me.

Lambo, download a wee programme called "Irfan". It makes downsizing simple.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi George,
Loved the Facel Vega. The last ones had monster Chrysler engines in them and were as fast as they were rare. I just saw one in a museum in Sinsheim a few months ago. I may have taken a snapshot. They made a smaller model called the Facellia, but it wasn't anywhere near as attractive, sort of what the 190SL was to the 300SL.

Edit: Adding a picture of a 1961 FV-1G I took a few years ago in Sinsheim.
Attachments
Facel Vega.jpg
Facel Vega.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
Last edited by bruceb on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Wow, that is one beautiful vac-pot Lambo, stunning :P . Now what about your car? :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Lambo wrote:I'm attempting to post my first picture so it'll probably not work - 'fraid it's not coffee!

Ah c'est magnifique, c'est fantastique, c'est formidable, c'est . . . noop, that's all my French hyperbole used up :wink: Thx for posting it Lambo :D
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby zix » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:23 pm

Wow - and all those run on purple gas? Magnificent.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm sorry, but that just looks terrible to me....
the horizon is completely off (and I know you were thinking the same Bruce :wink: )
Still, the car makes up for it :D
I see quite a few battered DS (wonderful name btw, great initials :wink: ) driving around london and it always makes me sad as it is such a graceful car which demands to be restored and not just used as some old banger. Whilst Citroën are clearly trying to hark back to this age with all the gadgets in the new C4 Picasso, nothing truly compares with the impact that the DS had. My dad remembers when they were launched and tells of the queues they had on the Champs Elysées with people wanting to see one in the Citroën dealership! Real star treatment!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:15 pm

It really was a sensation at its launch as it was so ahead of its time.
There's something about that shape that is so appealing.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby lastcoyote » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 pm

who'd of thought from looking at the title that this topic would turn out how it has :shock: :wink:
oh yeah i'm back by the way. been skiing...verbier...amazing. only thing pleased to be back for is my coffee....just had some monsooned malabar in my vac pot..yum.
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:30 am

Welcome back LC :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:35 am

zix wrote:Lastcoyote, I am curious: what are you using in the burner? Some purple liquid?

Since Wiley is clearly too ski-ed-out to answer . . . it's called methylated spirits here; a low-purity de-nat alcohol. Looks pretty cool in the Cona tho 8)
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:31 am

oops sorry...it's just that i answered zix directly.
..though to add it is quite interesting that in some countries as is the case with the UK meths/denatured alcohol..whatever your chosen name for it is...is dyed purple as a requirement so it can be easily identified as it could do you some harm if you guzzled it down :)
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:49 am

I've been meaning to post this image for a little while. It shows the two types of burners that cona have for the vac pots. The taller one seems to be the one they include in the box for it now, even though the one on the left is pictured on the box.
I got the one on the left from a cona parts seller on eBay. What i like about it is that you can put the snuffer on the top hence putting out the flame without having to remove the whole burner from the cona stand whilst brewing coffee. With the taller one you have to remove it completely from the stand as it's too tall and very close to the bottom of the pot. Another bonus i found is that the lower one just creates a bit of black soot on the bottom of the pot which is easy to wipe off, whereas the taller one seems to leave the dreaded rainbow effect on the glass which is not so easy to clean off. Interestingly the thin silver plate where the burner sits has an inner ridge to fit the tall one and a larger ridge which seats the other one.
..ok maybe it's not that interesting :roll:
Attachments
cona_burners.jpg
The two cona burner types side by side..
cona_burners.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 13149 times

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods