decent unbreakable french press

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

decent unbreakable french press

Postby jon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 pm

I've smashed my French press again :( I can buy a replacement piece of glass, but this is the fourth and the local shop are starting to recognise me.

Can anyone suggest a decent quality unbreakable (plastic?) press, or is there a reason why glass is better?

TIA.
jon

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Wow another Breako :D !!!!!!!!! Not even I have broken FOUR. I stand in awe of your acheivements jon.

Seriously, glass is better for heat retention. Just be careful. (Thats rich coming from me! ;) )
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:26 pm

I broke at least 5 in tha last 7 years ... 't was not always my fault!

... Can't ... can't ... can't hold back the recommendation of the aeropress. Unbreakable (well, nearly).
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm

lukas wrote:I broke at least 5 in tha last 7 years ... 't was not always my fault!

... Can't ... can't ... can't hold back the recommendation of the aeropress. Unbreakable (well, nearly).

Hey mine is still in two pieces... ;)
espressomattic

Postby jon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:02 pm

got an aeropress on order :) Could still use something to brew more coffee at once/'longer' drinks, too, though...

Anyway, at least I've still got a moka pot while I'm waiting for the press to arrive...
jon

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:55 pm

Or just get an aeropress, which is what I did, to stop wifey from breaking mine.
Oi Steve, how many did you say I had to sell before you start giving me kickbacks? :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Jo2 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Try the Bodum Columbia stainless steel double wall french press...
Those are quite unbreakable... ;-)
Attachments
bodum columbia.jpg
bodum columbia.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 15948 times
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby bruceb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Hmmmmm, sounds like a challenge for someone near and dear to us all! :P 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm

My thoughts exactly ;) 8)

Now with the smaller base, this would present a slightly inbalnced object when filled to capacity. If I multiply the height of the work surface by Pi, then subctract the downward pull of gravity/metres P/Sec, I should acheive a falling speed that is equal to that of Dark Matter. The challenge lies though in the surface drag. Coating in Teflon would be an option, but this would detract from the true nature of Breakism.

In my expert opinion this really would be qute impossible to break. Dent slightly, no problem, break? Even I am not so sure I could do it.

Breako

xx
espressomattic

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:26 pm

espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Supreme Breakomattic wrote:In my expert opinion this really would be qute impossible to break. Dent slightly, no problem, break? Even I am not so sure I could do it.

I have faith in you
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:
Supreme Breakomattic wrote:In my expert opinion this really would be qute impossible to break. Dent slightly, no problem, break? Even I am not so sure I could do it.

I have faith in you

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :roll:
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:34 pm

Supreme GrandMaster of Breakism wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence. :roll:

But, of course!! Didn't you at least once just think of a Pavina and sent a random Pavina-owner to tears when it inexplicably broke even though it was wrapped with bubble wrap to 3m thickness and suspended in a vacuum with zero gravity?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby AlanP » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:45 pm

espressomattic wrote:My thoughts exactly ;) 8)

Now with the smaller base, this would present a slightly inbalnced object when filled to capacity. If I multiply the height of the work surface by Pi, then subctract the downward pull of gravity/metres P/Sec, I should acheive a falling speed that is equal to that of Dark Matter. The challenge lies though in the surface drag....................

I'm proud of you Breako, this is the true bulldog spirit we've come to expect,
you should apply for a job with the British Kite Mark Safety Association.
Alan :)
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby espressomattic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:13 pm

AlanP wrote:
espressomattic wrote:My thoughts exactly ;) 8)

Now with the smaller base, this would present a slightly inbalnced object when filled to capacity. If I multiply the height of the work surface by Pi, then subctract the downward pull of gravity/metres P/Sec, I should acheive a falling speed that is equal to that of Dark Matter. The challenge lies though in the surface drag....................

I'm proud of you Breako, this is the true bulldog spirit we've come to expect,
you should apply for a job with the British Kite Mark Safety Association.
Alan :)

I would do Alan, but I broke the pen whilst filling in the form...then got stuck in the lift (Actually the latter is actually true from 2 weeks ago! I will divulge when I can)
espressomattic

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods