Brewing a light roast without acidity.

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brewing a light roast without acidity.

Postby ben_edwards » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:22 pm

I accidently under roasted a catch of columbian bens... they are a light brown colour (no. 8-9) on
http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html
it turns out that this roast is not quite to my taste for espresso. Very sour. Would any other methods of brewing suit the bean better or will it always be really sour?! I'm just about to try the moka pot but I'm guessing it will be a similar flavour. I don't have any other coffee making equipment - french press etc., so is it worth me getting something to try and enjoy these beans? Or shall I just bin the lot?!
Gaggia Classic PID
Gaggia MDF
ben_edwards

Postby HughF » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Vacuum pot or Aeropress might be best but cafetiere would still be better than espresso.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Syber » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:55 pm

This also happens to me sometimes..
I usually throw it in the roaster and hit the swich again.

Although it is probably not the best for the bean/taste..
but then again, throwing it away is a shame.
- vibiemme lusso -
- Mazzer Mini -
- Iroast2 -
- a grinder timer project -
Syber

Postby lukas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Hm, I would suggest Aeropress, French press or vac pot too. If not, why not just brew it directly in the cup? If you stir it well, the grounds will eventually fall to the bottom, and as long as you don't drink the last sip, it will be fine.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby kingseven » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Just crank your machine up nice and extra hot and run the shot a little slower than usual. You might get a pleasant surprise. Depends how light is your too light....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby ben_edwards » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I re-roasted the beans yesterday (they went straight to 2nd crack)... they were still too acidic straight after the roast (I needed caffeine) but today they were much more palatable. Not as good as usual, but like Syber suggested it would be a pity to waste them. Next time I do this I'll put a few aside and try the other methods mentioned. I think I'll also get myself one of these aeropress things everyone seems to be raving about!
Gaggia Classic PID
Gaggia MDF
ben_edwards

Return to Other Brewing Methods