Tell me of your Aeropress, O'sul

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby AlanP » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:18 pm

GeorgeW wrote:...................I was disappointed at the quantity. I usually use a Moka and have a mug full for breakfast.

Increase the strength,then add some extra hot water to the mug,as with an americano
Voila.... :)
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Many thanks little mouse...but..it's not the same is it?
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby kingseven » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:22 pm

I think the government should buy everyone one as a present when they are born. We'd all be much happier. And steve would be rich from coffee sales.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby zix » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:54 pm

It has been said that metallic filter would increase the quality of taste more than a little. I have not tried them yet - swiss gold filters is what people seem to use, cutting them to size with the paper filter as cutting guide.
Now might be as good a time as any to tell us: how are you doing, metal filter users? I think there should be at least two here, maybe more, that have tried it.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 pm

kingseven wrote:I think the government should buy everyone one as a present when they are born. We'd all be much happier. And steve would be rich from coffee sales.

Yeah, but then there'd be no football shirts left in the world for anyone else... :wink:
hmm, not so sure that's a bad thing :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:02 am

I read something about the metal filters and moire coffee oil coming throuh. I can put my finger on why but there are times I like the metal filter and time I resort back to the paper ones.

The metal ones eem to increase acidity and reduce some of the body and visa versa.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:29 am

I've stuck with my metal filter as much as anything because it saves from having to dig out a new paper filter everytime and/or cleaning and re-using them... Poor reason eh? :P
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby zix » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:19 pm

No, scooky, I think that is a perfectly good reason :) This is the main reason for me for buying a swiss gold and cutting it up.

Steve, thanks for the taste input! if you have french press on one end of the scale and aeropress on the other, would you say that the metal filter pushes the aeropress taste closer to the french press or further away from it? Or perhaps in another direction?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 am

zix wrote:Steve, thanks for the taste input! if you have french press on one end of the scale and aeropress on the other, would you say that the metal filter pushes the aeropress taste closer to the french press or further away from it? Or perhaps in another direction?

Certainly more to the french press end. But then extraction time grind type play more of a part in this than anything else.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Aha... that sounds interesting. Would make it easier to "pull" those stronger shots, especially when travelling. I guess it is off to the coffee shop then...
zix

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:24 am

The quantity is small but very very intense and sweet. It is a shame that the produce of the Aerobie was ever referred to as espresso because it really is a genuinely new coffee brewing genre all of its own. It appears as an espresso/vac-pot hybrid to me :D

Edit: Typo error
Last edited by CakeBoy on Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:18 pm

Yep, I would agree with that. I think they did themselves a disservice there dragging the espresso thing in. It seems to stand up perfectly well without it.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby jon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 pm

hmm, tempting to get one of these things. Any idea if they'll be sold with a metal filter at all - at least for 'normal' coffee I prefer a french press to a paper filter, but making my own aeropress filter sounds painful :(
jon

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 pm

Tis easy, sissors and some patience
Steve
Founder Member

Postby jon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:10 pm

you may be underestimating how cack-handed I am ;) just broke my french press (again) :( Could be a good excuse to buy an aeropress, I guess...do the things break when you drop them?
jon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods