Adventures with a vac pot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Adventures with a vac pot

Postby phil » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:40 pm

Well, I've always believed it to be an article of faith that the best brewed coffee comes from a good vac pot. Everyone says so! :D

Notwithstanding comments about my "turning to the dark side" when my commercial espresso machine was eventually fixed, I've always loved brewed coffee and feel that many of the exciting taste adventures in this world of gourmet coffee are lost to anyone who does not tread this path. However, I've almost always used a press pot.

Background: I've been "into" gourmet coffee since I was around 19 or 20 (and those that know me well will realise that that is a very long time ago now :-(). I was given a Cona as a wedding present but didn't use it much as it seemed a bit complicated. My oldest press pot is about 15 - 20 years old. I've almost always used that or one of the newer ones I've bought since when I wanted brewed coffee.

I've dabbled with Swissgold one-cup filters, which I bought with the intention of using them for cupping and office coffee, but since then I've been taught "proper cupping" at Mercanta and I've realised that office coffee brewing is not an option at BP (memo to self - get a new contract with a more enlightened company!). As a result I don't use these much - in fact hardly ever.

I bought an eSantos vac pot a while back, with the intention of trying to achieve the convenience of an electric brewer at the same time as getting the improved quality of vac pot brewing. I always drink some home-roast before setting off to catch my train to work in London, and I hoped the eSantos would do the job for me and give me better, clearer brews than I get with my press pots. Regrettably it didn't work well for me and the coffee often tasted "boiled". I gave up on it.

However I continued to hanker after the supposed quality inprovements to be had with a vac pot. I didn't want to risk my precious Cona though until I got some practice with this brewing method. I want to brew on the stove top, rather than mess around with little spirit burners - and I have a gas hob. I figured that I could easily destroy my Cona with an ill judged stove top experiment.

So what to do? The only vac pots readily available in the UK are the Cona (very expensive, and anyway I have one) and the good old Bodum Santos. So I "flashed the plash" at a well known coffee and equipment site (you know the one - run by one of our friends) and got myself a Santos. Dearer than a press pot by quite a margin, but still not too bad at around GBP 47 plus a token amount for carriage. I also searched around on the web and found some heat diffusers from a kitchen supply shop. Bingo! Everything came together.

So I've just tried my first pot of Santos-brewed vac pot coffee. I've been a tad busy, so the Nicaraguan (Coop de 22 Septembre) I used was a bit past its best. Never mind. I heated up the water, put it into the pot, put the funnel on with the right amount of coffee and off we jolly well went.

So far, so good. The brew was not as crystal clear as I had hoped, but certainly a lot clearer than you get with a press pot. I understand that the Bodum isn't as good in terms of brew clarity as say a Cona - you pays your money and you takes your choice! The taste was cleaner and lighter than I've been used to with this bean brewed with french press, and lacked the "boiled taste" I got with this pot's electric brother.

So off I go, experimenting with my new toy. Wey hey! :D

A few questions for more experienced vac-potters:
  • Do you grind finer for vac pot than you do for french press, or around the same?
  • When do you start counting for timing the extraction? I started when all of the water had gone "north", although I noticed that the grounds were wet a while before this.
  • How long do you brew for? I use 4 minutes with a press pot. Today I used 3 minutes with the Santos, but also ground a little finer (30 on the Rocky instead of 35)

Anyway, basically I'm very pleased and just about to get out the Hottop to roast some more light coffees. Hmmm - I think a Kenyan (but which one?) and maybe some Kona - it's been a while since I had any Kona. Yes, I think so (drool...). Oh - and it's high time I roasted that JBM two very good friends gave me. Oh yes! (rubs hands in childish glee...).
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Question 1. I grind to french press, but I have known people do it a little fine to filter. I think its a question of getting fine enough to release flavor but not to fine to make it muddy.

Question 2. I count from when all the water if in top "bulb" but not sure if thats right.

Question 3. 3mins sounds fine wouldnt do it any longer.

KONA DEFINATLY you must well worth the effort, JMB you must <drools too>
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:33 am

BTW if anyone's interested in the heat diffusers, they are made by "Truka" (in Vienna I think). They provide a hot air cushion under the pot on your stove. I'm really pleased with mine and happily and so far safely using my new Santos on the stove top.

Here is a link to the place I bought mine from. If you don't have access to a suitable kitchen or hardware shop, or can't be bothered to make the trip, I found the service from this place to be outstanding. Probably not much use outside the UK though.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Coffee footnote: I'm going light-roast mad at the moment, queueing up stuff to try in my new Santos. Last night it was Smithfarms Kona and Costa Rica Riserva Presidente, tonight Jamaica Blue Mountain and Australian Skybury.

Hey Eeffoc, which estate does your JBM come from?

Oh dear, I promised the kind friends who donated the JBM some cupping notes. Watch out ....

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:39 am

Although I am not Eeffoc, I believe it is the Wallenford Estate.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:54 am

No you're definitely not Eeffoc.

That'll be interesting then. Tom Owen says apropos Wallenford:
Tom Owen wrote:Wallenford ...I won't buy it after learning much of the coffee is milled at sea-level in Kingston --not a good practice( of course, if the cup is good i will buy it regardless of my biases).
and earlier he wrote wrote: Personally, I will not consider offering any other Jamaican coffee, especially Wallenford. I have seen too many insect-damaged coffees from that source, and cabbage-like flavors in the cupping samples.

Of course that is Tom on a rant.

Eeffoc's always said his JBM has been great. OK, I'm even further in the corner now regarding those cupping notes aren't I? :D

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:26 pm

Yes it is Wallenford. I used to have Mavis bank and it was good but wally (pet names for um all ;) ) is a big improvement. Didnt know about Tom's problem with it which was proberbly a good thing. If I had I may have said simular things, or put off by his commments. Tom knows his stuff (Guru to all of us). But all I know side by side it was the best one.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:11 pm

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Oh yes. Wow wow wow!

Oh I'm so glad I got the Santos and turned to the light side. :D

May the Force be with you.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Does this mean the Gaggia is for sale?? :)
Danny

Postby phil » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:18 pm

Nahh. Life is all about variety (just don't tell Allyson I said that).

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun May 02, 2004 1:49 pm

Phil... really what do you think she told me? :lol:
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Re: Adventures with a vac pot

Postby flimbag » Mon May 03, 2004 3:59 pm

phil wrote:A few questions for more experienced vac-potters:
  • Do you grind finer for vac pot than you do for french press, or around the same?
  • When do you start counting for timing the extraction? I started when all of the water had gone "north", although I noticed that the grounds were wet a while before this.
  • How long do you brew for? I use 4 minutes with a press pot. Today I used 3 minutes with the Santos, but also ground a little finer (30 on the Rocky instead of 35)

I've got a Cona Jr. which I bought on E-bay. I paid a little too much for it, because it was absolutely mint and unused -- still in the box with all of the advertising and packing, etc. Never even been used.

Holds about a pint of coffee -- three six ounce cups. It doesn't come with a spirit burner so I've always used it directly on the gas hob -- on the very lowest setting, of course, so it's almost getting tickled by the flame.

Like you, I start when all of the grounds have gone north, and leave for three minutes.

I grind finer than I would for press -- somewhere between drip and espresso -- but my current grinder is too inconsistent to be more specific. Like you, I'm looking for good vac pot recommendations. I've used it for Kenya and Yirg in the past, and when I get around to trying Hawaiian and JBM I'll use my trusty Cona, but I'd be interested in less expensive varietals and estates.
flimbag

Postby mnemonix » Thu May 06, 2004 1:15 am

I can't recommend Smith Farms Kona enough, it's not the most expensive, but compared with a notable prize winning Kona I tried, I much prefered it's less assuming but smooth and chocolatey flavour - an almost perfect cup of coffee.

I'm another vacpot wannabe. I drink far more filter than espresso and like the idea of the ultimately clean, light roast, cup, particularly after getting tired of my muddy press pot. The electric Bodum looked neat, but Phils problems put me off so I'm waiting for that perfect vintage Cona to come up on ebay at the right price.

chris.
mnemonix

Postby phil » Thu May 06, 2004 10:06 am

Chris - you really should try a Santos. Not perfect, but mine's been in pretty much daily use since I got it. Recommended.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

HELP!! - Cona vs Santos??

Postby pault » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:46 am

Am about to dive into the Vac Pot experience ...

have bought an electronic mini Santos but also want a glass one to play with. The choice I have is contacting Cona direct to get their "C" model or a hob version of the Santos kit (with a heat diffuser).

my main question is how much hassle is using the non-hob, methylated spirits caboodle compared to a set up for a gas stove?

the consensus seems to be the Cona produces better quality but with a heat diffuser the Santos strikes me as much easier to use. Taking the price difference out of the equation for a minute - does the Cona quality justify the extra hassle - any views???

thanks in advance,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods