Adventures with a vac pot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:55 pm

I love the Bodum santos (the leci one and the hob version).

The heat difusers are available (I've got a few of them), but I really like the leci one as its convienient, and makes great coffee. I know phil has had his problems but I use mine three four times a day every day with out a problem.

I've never had a cona (id love one if any one wants to send me one ;) ) so cant comment
Steve
Founder Member

Postby pault » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:10 pm

thanks for that - one thing stopping me getting the Santos hob version is it's relatively large capacity which is less than ideal if you're only making 1 mug at a time (I know I could use a thermos for the extra)

I'm going to contact Cona directly and try to pick up their bijou stove-top that's only 1pint capacity - am hoping with a diffuser it can be used on a gas stove because they say it's only for electric hob use - we'll soon find out if it explodes or not!! If I can't get one I'll go with the Santos hob version - and I'll let people know how the electric one works out in the meantime to see if Phil's being unduly harsh (or just unlucky with his machine)...

all the best,

Paul.
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:33 pm

Unduly harsh? Me? Nahh! I'm easily pleased :wink:

No really I know I'm demanding but the differences (in my case anyway) between the electric machine and the stove top one were incredible. I only brew in my kitchen (unlike Eeffoc who brews lots at his place of work) so using the stove top is no problem and if anything it's easier to clean.

The eSantos seems to polarise opinions. Some love it (like Eeffoc) while others (like me) have problems. I've tried some of the tweaks involving tilting it and the like, but to no avail. The brew period is too short and too much hot air / steam is blown violently through the coffee, leading to the oxidised / boiled taste I mention. The only thing I didn't try was using the variac to drop the voltage to the rated 230V - but some things are just too much trouble!

Anyone local to me wants an eSantos to play with they can have it for a low price. Now I've got a proper Santos and a heat diffuser I have no reason to prefer it or even use it.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby pault » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 pm

Isn't the large capacity a problem? - I think some people on CoffeGeeks said that the stove Santos doesn't work so well if you use less than 80% of its limit - which might be my 1-mug-at-a-time situation ... some people also seemed to prefer a glass filter ...
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby phil » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:19 pm

The recommended (by Bodum) use of the Santos is in the 6 - 8 cup (demitasse) region. That's 75 - 100 % of capacity.

Allowing a bit of waste to leave the (very small amount of) sludge behind, we're talking two mugs full for the 6 cup charge.

I can drink 2 mugs first thing in the morning and not notice. 1 mug and I'm gagging for more by the time I get to work (it's a long commute).

One thought - well actually two. Bodum 3-cup french presses do about 1 mug. The Swissgold 1 cup filter is OK too if you get the grind right.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:17 am

I could be interested in the eSantos but I don't understand it what it's like to use. I can't see myself using a stovetop, espresso with the Carezza takes (me!) SO long that I want my alternative brewing method to be very simple. If you are travelling by car, any chance of bringing it on 8th August IF noone local wants it? I can bring some (rested) HWP-roasted coffee.
Will it do a full pint (i.e. are your mugs half a pint)?

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Yeah sure Hugh. It does about the same amount as the stove-top so you should be OK in that respect.

One thing to be aware of - the bottom part is basically an electric kettle, so you have to be careful how you wash it.

Remind me nearer the time so I don't forget, OK?

BTW I *really* do think the stove-top is every bit as convenient.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:40 pm

Thanks Phil, will do. But if someone wants it in the meantime, don't worry about me.

Re the stovetop's convenience : I have to wipe paw-prints and stray cat hairs off our ceramic stove-top then dry it every time before I use it! The microwave and fan ovens see a lot more use than the hob for that reason. I take your point about not dunking the eSantos base, we lost a kettle that way.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby pault » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:12 pm

Have played a bit with both the Santos Mini E and the Cona Model D stove top

I found the Santos very convenient when I'm in a hurry and like the taste it produces but ... the Cona is a revelation, I really like the fact that the coffee's only ever in touch with glass and the taste really is cleaner than any press-pot coffee I've ever had.

Having said that, I'm rapidly realising what has probably been very obvious to others for a long time - that most brewing methods have their special characteristics that make them worthwhile in their own way. E.g. for variety's sake the grittier taste of the press pot is appealing once in a while ...

My biggest problem with the Vac pot is the higher caffeine load compared to the espressos I'd been chugging. There's definitely a different buzz from it.
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

fattening vac pot

Postby pault » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Am loving the coffee from my Cona vac pot but have noticed a disturbing development.

Espresso or cappuchino in my book do not require food to go with them

a mug of Vac Pot coffee by contrast almost demands a doughnut to go with it as my ever-expanding girth can testify - am I losing it or has anybody else noticed this Vac pot/doughnut thing???

Homer Simpson
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:36 pm

LOL I'm with you there brother hmmmmmmmm dddddooooouuuugggghhhnnuuttttss
Steve
Founder Member

Previous