Rocky press grind

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Rocky press grind

Postby Gadders » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:06 pm

Hiya,

If an espresso grind is roughly 6-10 on my rocky dial, could any1 take a shot at telling me what is a suitable number on the dial for my cafetiere?

Ta,
Phil.
Gadders

Postby lukas » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Hm, I don't have a rocky, but perhaps this maps a little with my Gaggia MDF: Espresso is everything from 4 to 6 (3 to 7 in extreme), and for french press I use 15-16 for longer steep time and 14 for the one-minute-steep.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby HughF » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:38 am

Try 25.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 am

I added +8 to my espresso grind when I used a Mocha so I would reckon Lukas isn't far off.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby scook94 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:58 am

I usually add 10 to my espresso grind, for FP or SwissGold drip. Seems ok, although I've never tried fine tuning for that style coffee...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby phil » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:07 pm

Hugh's about right. I used that sort of setting when I had a Rocky that ground for espresso about where yours does. 25 - 35 would be good, depending on taste.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby maurice » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't think the actual number matters very much. Just increase the coarseness till you don't find any solids at the bottom of your cup.
Isomac Zaffiro, Rocky, Hottop, Gaggia Classic, MC2
maurice

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:46 pm

I guess the number just means its somewhere to start.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:12 pm

maurice wrote:I don't think the actual number matters very much. Just increase the coarseness till you don't find any solids at the bottom of your cup.

Unless your grinder is perfect, aren't you always going to find some (dust) solids at the bottom of the cup? Or did you mean finer grinds getting through the wire mesh rather than the inevitable dust?
If so, I'm not sure that you wouldn't want to go coarser than that, it sounds more like setting the finest grind you can possibly get away with.

Sweet Marias recommend a finer grind than usual with a shorter (two and a half minute) brewing time; I find that a bit harsh-tasting myself, although I haven't tried it with the MC6 yet.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby lukas » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:17 pm

Hm, I pretty much always use a 1 minute brewing time, and a finer grind than usual for french press (but a bit coarser than for filter). I find the results purely looooovely!
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Gadders » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've only used my rocky for espresso up till now... but as i have a rather tasty kona peaberry arriving soon (thanks to Matt (espressomattic) :) for roasting it), he recommended it less for espresso, more for aerobie or FP - so i figured i should give it full care and attention with the Rocky and brew it properly.

I shall try 25 on the rocky as suggested... other than that, I know cafetiere is cafetiere (ie. it being pretty self explanatory), but could anybody suggest a technique to get full flavour from this bean? :D

Ta,
Phil.
Gadders

Postby nickr » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:11 pm

I agree 25 is pretty much what I use and it works really well. Remember to vaccuum it out before you try to make espresso again.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby lukas » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Gadders, I think you have to find out for yourself what you do with your french press ;), as everybody has his own opinion on that. Steve has his opinion, I have mine, and the guy from Coffeegeek has his, too. I'm sure there are many others with may other opinions out there. But rest assured, mine is best! :P
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Lambo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:20 pm

I use 35 on the Rocky with a 3 min brew time.
What's the supposedly correct amount of coffee/water to use in a French press?
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm

lukas wrote:Gadders, I think you have to find out for yourself what you do with your french press ;), as everybody has his own opinion on that. Steve has his opinion, I have mine, and the guy from Coffeegeek has his, too. I'm sure there are many others with may other opinions out there. But rest assured, mine is best! :P

I know but only I'm correct ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods