Bodum one cup filters

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bodum one cup filters

Postby quink » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:13 pm

I've just been reading Alans, post about his one cup filter accident, in the espresso forum. I was wondering what does everyone think of them, I remember I have one somewhere but I dont remember the coffee being any good when I used it so its now in the back of a cupboard. I'm thinking of breaking it out for use at work, any suggestions. Also I dont know if anyone else had this problem, but the lid clips down on the one I have, and I think it must be air tight, as after 5 minutes the water hadn't driped through ( air pressure, water surfacce tension, user error??? ) Any suggestions?
quink

Postby alans » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:08 pm

I've got a Bodum and a SwissGold, Bodum was more prone to stalling and I found if I lifted the (how do I say this...) bit where the water goes whenever it stalled it would be fine for a while. Also depends a lot on your grinder, less stalls once I got the Zass as opposed to the whirley blade.

That said I'm not really a filter fan apart from Vac pots so I wouldn't listen to me!
alans

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:45 am

I use one of these some times and I find that if you leave the lid of it runs through even better. Thats on the bodum one by the way. Ok for office/camping and other places where a big machine just isnt possible but not the greatest results, but I've seen worse
Steve
Founder Member

Postby quink » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:25 pm

I'll give it a try over a couple of days, with the lid on and off and different types of grind and see what I come up with. Anythings got to be better than the office coffee.
quink

Postby mnemonix » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:43 pm

what alans says.

ah yes office coffee... i bought another one-cup filter specifically to deal with that problem !

I lift mine up slightly after allowing 30 seconds or so for the water to soak the grinds, and it seems to kick start the filter process. I use them all the time and if you take the time to find the optimal grind and quantity to use they produce a pretty good cup (or mug) of coffee imho.

I originally started using them when i went off french presses because of the 'mud' and wanted a cleaner cup, but suspect it was because of the 'one grind suits all' nature of the shop bought coffee I used back then.

chris.
mnemonix

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:59 pm

I've had one of these for a couple years but don't use it much as espresso is my favourite method.

The advantages over a french press are: the extracted coffee isn't in contact with the grounds and it's quicker & easier to clean out.

The disadvantage is you may have experiment a bit with the grind to get the correct flow.
Ian

Postby quink » Thu May 06, 2004 12:51 pm

Well, I've been using this at work now for about 2 weeks, much to the amusement of everyone I work with. I'm doing quite well with it now. I did modify it to stop the problems of the brew stalling. All I did was to put a small hole in the top of the lid, and I raised it off the rim of the mug a few mm's with some sticky rubber grommet like things I had lying around. Works like a charm now 8) I'm still playing with the grind and amout of coffee though.
quink

Return to Other Brewing Methods