mi vida moka

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

mi vida moka

Postby DrZeus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:58 am

Greetings, everybody, and a "Welcome!" to the new members I haven't welcomed before.

How many of you use a moka pot as your primary brewing method? Okay, nobody but me. How many of you use a moka pot occasionally? I've been experimenting lately with mine...I've discovered that tamping has no ill effect on the brewing process (contrary to what I've read), however, it also doesn't affect the body or finish of the resulting brew. So, there's apparently no reason to tamp (or overfill, since all you're doing is wasting coffee at that point).

We have a gas stove, and I wondered if a high flame would give the water more force as it goes up through the grounds...my experience thus far is that it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Anybody else have observations? Since the moka pot is my only brewing method available to me, I'd love to hear about any ideas on tweaking the process.
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:57 pm

Hi John

I use a moka pot, but use an electric one so might not be to help ful.

With mine you MUST tamp to get any resemblance of a drinkable coffee. the seals are very important. A new seal can make a massive difference to the end product too, as a slight leakage of pressure will leave the cup flat.

Experiance of stove tops is that the higher the heat the better the cup, but thats not a particulary scientific thing just an observation.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:48 pm

I've read in several places that tamping a moka pot could possibly result in too much pressure built up....apparently there have been stories of pots exploding ?? Urban legends, perhaps? I'll have to try again with the adjustment of the flame, but I've not noticed any difference.

Thanks, Steve.
DrZeus

Postby zix » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:44 am

DrZeus wrote:I've read in several places that tamping a moka pot could possibly result in too much pressure built up....apparently there have been stories of pots exploding ?? Urban legends, perhaps? I'll have to try again with the adjustment of the flame, but I've not noticed any difference.

Thanks, Steve.

If the safety valve works you won´t get more pressure from more heat. Possibly you will get burnt-coffee-taste, though. A stainless moka pot is more sensitive to heat than an alu one. You can use higher heat with an alu pot, but to my tastebuds it doesn´t improve coffee taste.
Not absolutely sure about this, but I think you will get around 2.5 kg pressure in a moka pot (unless you use the Bialetti Brikka, which has a "pressostatic" valve. I don´t know how the Brikka coffee tastes, have never tried that pot).
If you tamp the coffee, more steam will pass through the safety valve. Instead, to get better taste, you should try using very fresh coffee and a good grinder. You will notice the difference just as much as with an espresso machine, maybe more! I used to like coffees that can take a dark roast. Colombia, Old Java, Yirgacheffe for example. I tried to use coffee no older than 4 days with my S/S pot.
With very fresh coffee you won´t need to tamp,just make a little mound and flatten it out by knocking the filter sides.

P.S. I have also heard about exploding moka pots. Maybe it is urban legends, but nevertheless it is quite possible that the pot might explode, if the safety valve has become defunct and the pot is very dirty. D.S[/url]
zix

Return to Other Brewing Methods