Aerobie Aeropress - first impressions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby zix » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:30 pm

ahhhh... very very good. Thanks for keeping an eye on it. Which one is the thread?
Edit: oh, perhaps I found it - it is the one with the title "Aerobie Aeropress", right? 52 pages and counting...
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby scook94 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:49 pm

That's the one... Allegedly the longest thread ever on CG...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby scook94 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Steve, forgot to ask, how does the Aerobie and metal filter compare with the Clover?
scook94

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:46 pm

There are some similarities, but like there is with a Silvia and a La Mazocco, you can tell its from the same family but from different parts of the world.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby pringtef » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Purchased one of these a few weeks ago, and quite pleased with it.

One 'mod' you can do is to use the black plastic filter holder as a holder for a 2oz bodum Pavina glass instead. Then, you can attach the Aeropress to it and pour perfectly into the Pavina.
pringtef

Postby zix » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:11 pm

?
Sorry, I don't think I follow you. What stops the coffee grounds from leaking all over the place, and where does the paper filter go if you use the filter holder for holding the pavina cup?

Or do you simply mean that the pavina cup is wide enough for the filter holder to fit inside it? Lots of my plastic cups do that, so I use one of them as a temporary pour-into-cup, but at work there are coffee cups with the right width...

I don't suppose you mean you attach the pavina cup to the aeropress? While I am at it, do hedgehogs actually dance the lambada, and is the earth flat, as the voices keep telling me?

"Hello, my name is zix and I am a thickhead"
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby scook94 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:19 pm

I had to read it several times too. What he means is the black plastic device that the spare filters are dispensed from. A 2 oz Pavina will fit inside it and you can press down on the filter "dispenser" without fear that the Bodum will break.

Steven
scook94

Postby zix » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:37 pm

ahhhh, Thanks.
zix

Postby Steem21 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:05 pm

I've had the Aerobie now for about 2 weeks and what a difference between the coffee from the French Press and the Aerobie! Even with the supermarket ethiopian pre-ground stuff I had lying around in the office, the Aerobie made a really clean, smooth and very drinkable cup - without any grains in the cup. I then brought in some HB coffee, ground that morning at espresso grind - needed a bit more muscle to get the plunger down but the coffee was beautiful. It was the Fazenda Cachoera Bourbon, and I could taste the sweetness of the coffee with a hint of nuttiness. My office colleagues are really intrigued as to what this contraption is but they are loving the coffee I'm making them!

Also, I was listening to Radio 1 this morning and it seems the fame of the Aerobie is spreading. They were doing an article on camping and "the thing" to have is an aerobie! Here here!
La Spaziale Vivaldi II, Mazzer Mini E, Aerobie Aeropress
Steem21

Postby cmorgan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:02 am

This morning I found a better way of making an Americano than the recommended method of making one shot of Aeropress espresso and topping the cup up with water. I put 1-1.5 scoops (on finest grind) and fill the Aeropress up to the brim and press. This makes one cup of 'Americano' without the need to dilute with water. Even though the coffee ends up being the same strength it somehow seems to be tastier, probably because all of the water goes through the coffee. You have to take care not to press through too quickly though as the resistence is a lot less!
cmorgan

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:57 am

I feel a little bit of a late comer, but I've only just gotten round to having a serious play with the Aeropress given to me by the lovely mr Hasbean.

Robbed some coffees from Mercanta, just enjoyed a lovely Brazilian single estate and am about to grab a little Guat. Don't know why I am drinking so much as I am going to the meet the grower at Mercanta this afternoon!

This is the thing that may finally encourage me to drink coffee at home!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steem21 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 am

kingseven wrote:This is the thing that may finally encourage me to drink coffee at home!

Does that mean all the nice toys in your profile are strictly work toys?
Steem21

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:14 am

I have the S1 at home, though it is not set up right now. The two group S5 lives in my car with the Mahlkoenig, and the MACAP and is for doing presentations and training around the country (though regularly lifting a two group in and out of places can be a bit of a headache!)

I am considering setting up a little espresso bench in the kitchen, with the good lady Anette's permission of course. Thing is - I doubt I would use it much, unless people came round and wanted coffee.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby scook94 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:25 am

kingseven wrote:This is the thing that may finally encourage me to drink coffee at home!

High praise indeed! I look forward to reading your thoughts once you have upgraded to a metal filter... ;)
scook94

Postby Steem21 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:48 am

How are people finding the taste comparison between the metal vs. paper filter? I saw Steve's quick comparison note. I've bought a swiss gold filter but I haven't got round to cutting it yet. I just hope I remember to fish out the metal filter from the bin when I'm using it!
Steem21

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods