Revolutionary single cup brewer?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Revolutionary single cup brewer?

Postby Beanie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:06 pm

Anyone read some interesting posts about the Clover machine on Chris Tacy's God Shot Blog and more detail on Victrola?

Sounds interesting... and it doesn't look like any I've seen before... not that I've seen them all :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:23 am

The Clover.. "press a button and produce flawlessly brewed coffee.." that sounds terrifying. We'll all die of boredom or change to tea. Maybe they'll cost $1m each. Yes, of course I want one - but only as back-up.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zix » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:26 am

Yes, now I have. Thanks for the links! Really interesting stuff, although I am a bit disappointed with the size of the machine. I was hoping for something that could be brought to the customer's coffee table.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby zix » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:33 am

oh, and of course we need to take this "with a grain of salt", (do you people say that in your languages? Strange saying, really) as at least half of it ought to be sales talk. Still, the americans really like their machines and their 'fail-safe' systems and methods, so for them this is important stuff that could probably change the way people over there think about coffee. In a positive direction, I hope.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby steves » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:25 pm

zix wrote:"with a grain of salt", (do you people say that in your languages? Strange saying, really)

Yes, though more commonly "with a pinch of salt" at least in England. I'm not sure of the derivation - perhaps something to do with making something more pleasing to the taste by adding salt to it.

Having not really studied the recipes threads in too much detail, I wonder, does anyone take their coffee with a pinch of salt?
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:47 pm

steves wrote: I'm not sure of the derivation - perhaps something to do with making something more pleasing to the taste by adding salt to it.

"On the nose." According to my reference books here, all to do with making something more pallatable... literally, "easier to swallow," more acceptable.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zix » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 pm

It is said that some in the northern parts of Sweden, notably the Sami people, do or have done that. If it is (or was) indeed done among the Sami, this ought to be known in Finland and Norway too.
In Sweden we use "a pinch of salt", not "a grain". Don't know why I wrote "a grain" - perhaps another americanism popping up? Or perhaps I only got it wrong.
zix

Postby BazBean » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 pm

Having not really studied the recipes threads in too much detail, I wonder, does anyone take their coffee with a pinch of salt?

I have heard an old trick to try and help preserve filtered coffee`s life once brewed was to add a tiny tiny pinch of salt ??? i have never tryed it myself but Steves posting brought it up from the dark reseses of my mind!! has anyone else heard of this ?
BazBean

Postby HV » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 am

Salted coffee... Hmmm, now that would be an interesting addition to the *$$ menu.

Re. the Clover machine - I don't quite get the point of it. It would be fun for an April Fools day, but it's a bit late for that.
So, we apparently need a humugous sized machine to make a cup of "optimally brewed coffee" - not espresso, just plain brewed coffee. AFAICS, it's basically just a water heater with some sort of shower over a small steel sink. You still have to grind and dose the coffee - the machine doesn't do that. No clever 'lectronics, buzzing sounds, or clicks.
It doesn't even say "ping". Quite disappointing... ;-)

Cheers,

HV
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini, Hottop Coffee Roaster Digital
HV

Postby motoman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:14 am

The only time I like a pinch of salt with a drink involves TEQUILA, more TEQUILA and a friendly barmaid. After the fifth TEQUILA, any barmaid.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby JimS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:47 am

.... and after the seventh TEQUILA, any pavement
There are three intolerable things in life - cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.
Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)
JimS

Postby wang » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm

Back to the original topic though, vacpot/drip/press pot coffee can be a lot more satisfying and rich than espresso. Espresso, as well prepared as it is, may be a bit one-dimensional in comparision to a well made cup of coffee using decent beans.

The same coffee prepared as an americano in my opinion isn't as nice as a it prepared using a press pot. Clover's been likened to an espresso machine for drip enthusiasts. I think it could be a very good idea as you won't have to deal with all the variables of espresso and could make for a more complex cup to savour over rather than to finish in 5 seconds. Espresso can really be overrated sometimes :P
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby zix » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:09 am

nooooooooo it can't! NOOOOOOOOO no no no nooooo! Down, boy, down! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:
zix

Postby steves » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:20 am

Many things are over-rated. Espresso in large chain outlets, Guiness in Dublin...

:P :P
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:24 am

steves wrote:Many things are over-rated. Espresso in large chain outlets, Guiness in Dublin...

:P :P

Most of my girlfriends :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods