Great benas from Cuba!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Great benas from Cuba!

Postby Terje » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:26 am

For anyone on a budget who wants truly excellent coffee but can't afford the silly prices Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain are sold for this would be my first tip. A very well balanced coffee with a rich taste.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:14 pm

Great coffee in very short supply in the UK at the moment, which is a real shame. not sure what europes like.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Re: Great benas from Cuba!

Postby MKSwing » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 pm

I always said cuba beans are impressive.
I don't remember the name of the one I bought from hasbean a long time ago but since then I tried some peaberries and an organic origin, the peaberry was the BEST single origin I ever tasted, worked wonderfully in french press and espresso. Too bad I only bought 2 Ko, when I got back to buy more, the bag had disappeared :cry:

PS : I love that "bena" word :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:15 am

Are you searching for any particular Cuban beans.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Re: Great benas from Cuba!

Postby Terje » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:54 am

MKSwing wrote:PS : I love that "bena" word :)

I always make mistakes like that. Bena actually means something in swedish but benas wouldn't be the correct plural form.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Terje » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:56 am

JulieJayne wrote:Are you searching for any particular Cuban beans.

I buy them at this old store in Stokcholm. Didn't ask where they get them from. The man who sold them to me is rather old and almost deaf, it's tricky to talk to him. Add that he's really grumpy for the most part. I asked him about what kind their ethiopian beans were nad he didn't want to answer or he didn't know but someone else in the store told me that yes they were of course Yirgacheffe. Should have asked that guy about the cuban beans.
Terje

Postby JulieJayne » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:52 am

Terje wrote:....what kind their ethiopian beans were nad he didn't want to answer or he didn't know but someone else in the store told me that yes they were of course Yirgacheffe. Should have asked that guy about the cuban beans.

Interesting about the Ethiopian beans. We started with the Yrgacheffe, but had very few buyers for it. The Sidamo on the other hand is reasonably popular. Personally I don't think that you can beat the Yrgacheffe, especially in a Vac or press pot.

The Cuban Turquino, is also popular, although it is our most expensive bean at the moment. Strangely enough it is most popular with American tourists, as all things Cuban are still banned there.
JulieJayne

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:15 pm

My personal preference is always seems to be Yirg over sidamo, just seems a cleaner cup, and better quality green, so I'm with you there Julie.

Cuba and Americans I also found to be true, I once had a mail asking If I could send some in a different packet in case customs opened it ! Didn't think it was that big an embargo.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods