Turkish coffee... lots of fun!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 am

Just done one this morning following that link advice and it looked pretty close to that one. I think what I was getting wrong was the coffee/water ratio. Still made a nice brew, however the one this morning really had that earthy ite to it I remember so well..In fact I am going to have another one...who needs espresso!!!! ;)
espressomattic

Postby blackice » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:30 am

Nowdays I enjoy greek/turkish/arabian coffee pretty often! I use a dark roast of Brazil/Guatemala scented mixed with a little cardamon. I put one mini mug of water (2.5 oz), half teaspoon of sugar, and one teaspoonfull of the finely ground coffee in an ibrik. I stir slowly until it boils and I serve immediately. It is a very nice coffee very easily prepared!
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby BazBean » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:52 am

who needs espresso!!!!

Tut Tut... now go wash your mouth out with soap now Matt.

i think you might like it ,as the device to make it has no moving parts or include breakable glass?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby espressomattic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 pm

Well I am now cured Baz, just ask Steve...Let me touch one of his Roasters today, with moving parts, and it is still in one piece!!! Cakey even let me play with Anna and she is still working too!! :D
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:07 am

Yup ..... failed to break a damned thing .... all rather disappointing really :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:55 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Yup ..... failed to break a damned thing .... all rather disappointing really :wink: :D

Only for you Cakey. :wink:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:27 pm

Ah .... yes he did after all! Breako broke some cupping crusts :P :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:52 pm

Damn I couldn't go a whole day could I....hang on...they are good things to break :D :wink:
espressomattic

Postby blackice » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby Aadje » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:54 pm

You made that?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby blackice » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Wish I had!
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby robin » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Terje wrote:This was great with Kona beans too. Possibly the best way to use those beans, which I have started to find a bit boring myself.

As far as I can tell, cardamom and cinnamon are Arabic, not Turkish additives, though I suppose they might be used in the S.E. of Turkey, which is closer to Arabic culture. The amount of sugar varies according to personal taste: in a cafe you can ask for "şekersiz" (no sugar), "orta" (medium - about a tespoonful) or "çok şekerli" (loads of sugar). There's also a variety drunk mainly in the S.E. called "murra", which is unsweetened, very bitter, served in tiny cups and makes the top of your head lift off!
robin

Postby robin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:24 am

espressomattic wrote:Nothing like Espresso, you occassionally get a 'scum', but most times nothing. Iused to, but these days I don't.

Getting enough froth is the acid test of Turkish coffee making. The problem is that it's dependent on too many things - the amount and freshness of the coffee, the shape of the pot, the speed with which the water heats, the exact time you take it off the boil and so on. I'll post my recipe for perfect Turkish coffee separately, but I'll say here that the most common cause of losing the froth is not taking it off the boil in time. You want the point at which the bubbles move out from the rim and meet at the centre of the pot.
robin

Postby ivdp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:10 am

I would like to wait a little longer until you think they will reach to top/boiling over.
Main problem of not getting a nice froth/crema is the fineness of the grind. Not fine enough, forget making a decent Turkish . .
some guidance: http://www.gebrand.nl/Turksekoffie_eng.htm
Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby blackice » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Ivo you're right! For anyone interested the wikipedia has excellent information.

PS
I made a turkish blend for a friend yesterday using 50% santos 25% guatemala 25% harrar
wih I had some quality robusta available...
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods