Eva solo versus pour-over filter

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Eva solo versus pour-over filter

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:04 pm

I've been invited by my bruv and his wife, to do 2 or 3 weeks sailing in Turkey next year. Traveling light, so I'll take my Zass. Although there are gas rings on board, I don't fancy coffee produced by those stove-top moka pots and a cona would be too fragile. So it's Melita versus brewed
http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/qu ... lo/details Has anyone had any experience with the eva ? How does the taste compare with a pour over filter ?
I haven't had filtered in 15 years, but the basic melita cone and papers are cheap enough. I could even simulate the Eva, with a thermos flask and nylon coffee filter I have (somewhere).
What's the preferred roast level for these methods ?
Any thoughts on roasting ? Buying a frying pan out there, is an option.
Some of the island hops may be 2 or 3 days at sea, but there is mains electricity available, when we drop into a marina. TIA.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:00 pm

I use an Eva solo 1 litre. I'm not capable of giving a taste description but I do prefer it to pour over filter. It has replaced press pot in our home for two reasons. It keeps the temp better then the presspot and somehow I find it easier to clean.

For some time now I do a rotating movement (make the grinds and water swivel?) after a few minutes and leave it for about another minute. This makes the grinds sink and the filter is less clogged (=easier to pour).
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:34 pm

One thing wioth the Eva it is very delicate, needs to be packed well. You may be as easy taking a french press.

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:41 am

I have the Eva and we like it :) I've never had a pour-over but I suppose if you wanted to compare the 2, then you should at least use a perm filter rather than paper.

I think the Eva is sexy and delicate-looking, but I've never felt like I would break it as I would those no-so-new Bodum Pavoni glasses. Good point about packing. If it were me, I'd wrap it in a hand towel, place it in a plastic bag and stuff full with more of those cheap translucent plastic bags that you get at the veggie section of the supermarket. Of course, for better protection, tie the handles together for little pockets of air :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:48 am

Thanks Mathias, Steve and B-B for your obs. I prefer brewed rather than paper filter - if memory serves. I'm leaning toward the Eva, long-term it would come in handy for non espresso drinking visitors and it looks quite swish. Must remember to pack and stow it well, on board.
As I haven't had a holiday this year, the yacht trip in June could well last to a month.
So the main hurdle now is roasting. It wouldn't be fair to use a frying pan on the boats' galley stove (my garage pongs for days).
I could take my heat gun, for those marina visits, but I was hoping to travel light.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Mathias » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:12 pm

Latest news on my Solo: Ir broke from a small fall (35 cm) on a carpet :cry:

So Steve has a point there :drink:
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Return to Other Brewing Methods