Which Whiskey goes with what kind of coffee?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Which Whiskey goes with what kind of coffee?

Postby Joey » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:08 am

Hi everybody!
Little by little I find the time to read all the other/older posts in this forum. So, some of you are whiskey lovers, huh?
Reading about Irish Whiskey, I remember that my mother used to make some when I was a little kid. I mean, I saw her turning a glass with coffee that smelled like alcohol, hanging diagonaly above a candle. I only got some of the whipped creme she put on top of it later.
So, can anyone tell me a good recepy for Irish Coffee?

And if I wanna serve coffee with a whiskey beside - which kind would be the best? (In both cases)

Why wouldn't I use espresso? (said in another post by Michael, or Phil? - sorry, I'm too lazy too search for proof who it was :-)

Could you put a shot of whiskey in a coffee with milk inside?

Thanks!!! :D
Joey
Joey

Postby Joey » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:14 am

PS.: sorry - slightly off topic from coffee, but as I have the Whiskey lover's attention here:
I just found out, that a mail-order house (I get a catalogue once in a while) sells half Jack Daniels barrels, to be used for plants, or in the sauna, whatever....
66cm wide, 45 cm tall, 24,5 kg and 104 €
I'll scan it. Maybe someone needs this as a decoration. You could turn it around and use it as table...
Joey

Postby phil » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:00 am

Right. Mmm.

On a point of information, whiskey is from Ireland or N. America. Personally I rarely touch the stuff, although Bushmills Malt is pleasant if a little sweet.

On the other hand, whisky is the Scottish product. It is in reference to this product that the word "Scotch" is correctly used - and never with respect to anything else.

OK, lesson over. Personally, if I was going to drink malt whisky with coffee (separately of course, never mixed (shudder)) I would be looking for a big, slightly sweeter finish. Maybe Talisker, possibly Ardbeg, quite possibly Lagavulin, perhaps one of the fuller bodied Speysides. Catch this description of Braes of Glenlivet :

Scotch Malt Whisky Society wrote:Mature Calvados and faded varnish
'The other distillery' in Glenlivet opened in 1973 and won prizes for its architechtural design. To begin with it used its 'appellation', but dropped it some years ago. It has never been bottled by its owners, Chivas Glenlivet, so this is a rare chance to taste it. The colour is a gorgeous deep amber, like polished mahogany, and the first impression on the nose is simply 'deep'. Soon baked-apple notes begin to emerge - very mature Calvados, baked apples sprinkled with melted sugar. Then burnt sugar and spun honey. Tasted at this stage, we were reminded of brown buttered toast, slightly burnt, spread with runny honey. Water brings up its venerable delicacy: sweet vanilla fudge, fresh pears, faded yacht varnish. The flavour is pleasantly sweet to start, drying slightly, with a long finish and lingering traces of honey. Delectable.
Copyright © 2003 The Scotch Malt Whisk Society

Drool.
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:25 am

As the only Irish resident on the list I think I've to put in my €0.02 worth, so here's how Irish Coffee is made locally:

Take 1 Irish Coffee glass
Heat glass with boiling water.
Add 1 teaspoon sugar.
Add 1 Irish shot (35.5ml) of Whiskey, Paddy or Powers are prefered (cheapest available), you don't want to waste anything that tastes good.
3/4 fill with coffee. This is either a drip pot that's been sitting on a "warmer" for the last five hours, or instant.
Mix well.
Layer with fresh whipped (heavy but not peaking) cream to fill glass.
Correctly made you should have very black coffee, very white cream, and about 1cm of cream bleeding into coffee in the middle.

Personally I think it's a waste of coffee and whiskey but since they use disgusting coffee and whiskey it doesn't really count ;)

Here's an American homeroaster's version:
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/00/04/irish/
alans

Postby phil » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:49 am

You know Joey, you're trouble :D

After the above posting I just had to go out and order a bottle!
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:07 pm

Sounds VERY tasty. Who do you buy from and have you got a link?
alans

Postby phil » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:46 pm

Sure I have a link, but I'm not sure about shipping to Eire. It's the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. They only sell to members, and from the U.K. they only sell to the U.K. They have international outlets, but I haven't spotted one that covers Eire.

I'm really not sure how this works since we're all Europeans - I have to say that I find it damned irritating (we're in Europe, no we're not, oh yes we are....). You might guess that I'm very pro-European.
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:47 pm

You may be irritated, but I'm pissed, they'll ship to Belfast which is further, but not to Dublin! It's attitudes like this that keep me buying from Germany, France and the Netherlands, and then I don't have to worry about exchange rates.
alans

Postby phil » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:31 pm

Don't understand I must admit. I had a similar conversation with Neku a while back. If I find out why I'll let you know.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:40 pm

Hey sunny is that what you did with your JMB Barrell :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:47 am

...drip, drip, drip...

...that's my mouth, watery from reading that article from the SMW Society.
I thought I would never drink that stuff, but reading that makes me addicted before I even tasted it :-)
"......baked-apple notes begin to emerge - very mature Calvados, baked apples sprinkled with melted sugar. Then burnt sugar and spun honey. Tasted at this stage, we were reminded of brown buttered toast, slightly burnt, spread with runny honey. Water brings up its venerable delicacy: sweet vanilla fudge, fresh pears, faded yacht varnish. The flavour is pleasantly sweet to start, drying slightly, with a long finish and lingering traces of honey......."

geeee....
vanillia fudge - good!
baked apples - good!
runny honey - gooooooood!!!!!

What's not to like?!?

I'm gonna give that Irish Coffee a try soon. I have to know how it tastes and works if someone orders that. As I will sell so many varietals of coffee (to try in the shop, too) I thought it would also be nice to offer different kinds of recipes (except latte, cappuccino...)
In Vienna still some people drink the turkish version of coffee, too...

So if someone wants to drink a Whiskey aside, should I take one of the above mentioned?
I trust you guys, because I can't taste them all before!

And thanks for the help!
Joey

Alans: Hi, I've been in Ireland with my motorbike for 3 weeks. Everybody says it's a beautiful place. So, is it really as green as everybody tells? All I have seen was rain and mist for 20 days. And some sheeps. (July/August) ;-)

Nah, just kidding. Although I haven't seen much - what I've seen was beautiful. A bit blurred in the mist, but beautiful :-D
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby alans » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:08 pm

3 weeks on a bike sounds like great fun! If you ever come back I'll show you around Dublin.

Yeah it's beautiful when you can see it, I love going down to Kerry, but I've been here too long, time to move on!
alans

Postby Joey » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:05 pm

Thank you Alan! I'm sure it would be much better to have a native aside while roaming Dublin. We were so afraid of robbery (of bike-parts) in the evening, that we parked our bikes in the courtyard of the police station during dinner :-)
We missed the ferry to the Isle of Man, so we drove to Belfast - scaring!

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Raf » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:15 pm

phil wrote:Catch this description of Braes of Glenlivet :

Scotch Malt Whisky Society wrote:Mature Calvados and faded varnish
'The other distillery' in Glenlivet opened in 1973 and won prizes for its architechtural design. To begin with it used its 'appellation', but dropped it some years ago. It has never been bottled by its owners, Chivas Glenlivet, so this is a rare chance to taste it. The colour is a gorgeous deep amber, like polished mahogany, and the first impression on the nose is simply 'deep'. Soon baked-apple notes begin to emerge - very mature Calvados, baked apples sprinkled with melted sugar. Then burnt sugar and spun honey. Tasted at this stage, we were reminded of brown buttered toast, slightly burnt, spread with runny honey. Water brings up its venerable delicacy: sweet vanilla fudge, fresh pears, faded yacht varnish. The flavour is pleasantly sweet to start, drying slightly, with a long finish and lingering traces of honey. Delectable.
Copyright © 2003 The Scotch Malt Whisk Society

Drool.

Hmm, I think I recognize this... ;) If this is what I think it is, it's certainly the best Scotch I ever drank (with just a drop of water to open up the flavours, as Phil taught me!).
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:26 am

It certainly is what you think it is. There only were ever 160 bottles of this beauty and Raf got one from Allyson & I as a house warming present.

It certainly went to a good home!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods