My new travel-coffeemaker!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My new travel-coffeemaker!

Postby Joey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:27 am

He, he, I got that thing for 1 Euro at ebay. And a chocolate for the nice seller lady who brought it to me in my shop because I had no time to pick it up :D

So, I was just curious how that thing might work, and for 1 Euro I thought that is not much loss....

Yesterday I tried it:

I filled the inside with water, put the 1st sieve on top, then 2 table spoons coffee, another sieve and then mounted the top again by screwing the handle hard on top.

Plugged it in the power outlet and waited 3 minutes until the coffee collected in the built in cup at the bottom.

And I have to say - not bad. I used an older rest of a Hawaiian blend I brought from my last vacation. The outcome was very rich in flavor with a nice aroma. Not bad for a substitute....

So basically it works like the Italian machines (which I refuse to call "espresso makers", as the outcome is not a real espresso, but a nice, strong black coffee...)

And I think the design is nice, too. It's about 1 foot high and comes with a nice bag. It's easy to clean, too.

OK, enough advertising, just wanted to let you know that this thing exists and that it is a wonderful way to make coffee somewhere else if you don't get proper drink wherever you are....

Cheers
Joey

PS.: this is how I look in the morning before I made myself "a face" (make-up), a hairstyle, and a cup of coffee :lol:
Attachments
1stTest.jpg
This was the first test. I was a bit sceptical at the beginning, but surprised at the end!
1stTest.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 9906 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Re: My new travel-coffeemaker!

Postby zix » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 pm

joey wrote:So basically it works like the Italian machines (which I refuse to call "espresso makers", as the outcome is not a real espresso, but a nice, strong black coffee...)
Do you mean a moka pot? Or one of those Krups "steam toys" sometimes found in espresso/drip brew combo machines?
PS.: this is how I look in the morning before I made myself "a face" (make-up), a hairstyle, and a cup of coffee :lol:
Wow. You actually have a face at that time of the day? I don't think I have.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby wang » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:12 pm

Speaking of moka pots - have you seen the stovetop steam boilers (with a wand)? It'd be sort of cool if someone did latte art with just a moka pot and a stovetop steamer. As long as the coffee is thick enough it should do the patterns without crema, sort of like hot chocolate powder + a tiny amont of hot water mixed together will give a base to pour on, but not as nice as proper espresso.
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby Rattus » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:49 am

Hey Joey,

I could be wrong - keeps happening - but I think you can make the coffee directly into another cup, like your lovely Koziol there, just by putting the spout out the side of the machine, rather than down the hole.

By the way, not only do you look fine, but you don't want to go daring the rest of us to post pics of how we look pre morning coffee. Trust me, you don't want to go there :wink:

Martyn
La Marzocco Linea 3AV - with PID and other mods
Mazzer Mini E
Hottop B
Rattus

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:07 am

Hey, that would be cool: Please, everybody posts a "real" morning photo!!! He, he, he...
Let's make a "morning-before-coffee-photo" contest!!!!
I'll sweep a bag of my houseblend as a price!
Or a "before-and-after" pic???
You decide ;-D

joey
If some of you dare, I'll make it a new thread)
Joey

Postby zix » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:29 pm

I´m on! Consider the coffee bag mine already. :D
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 pm

Ok, cool. I see, the others are still shy...we'll give them some more days, ok? :-)
Don't forget the camera meside the bed for tomorrow...

Joey
Joey

Postby jumper » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:54 pm

i would try for the coffee but i look the same day and night and i'm so much younger than most here (it would be unfair to you old folk :roll: )
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:59 pm

it's the "expression" in your face without coffee we wanna see, goodlooking or not :P :P :P

joey
:lol:
Joey

Postby phil » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:36 pm

Mark, as long as we don't see your nappy or your pram it'll be OK :razz:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:45 pm

yes. but some of us still have hair on our heads Phil... it just wouldn't be fair :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:48 am

joey wrote:Ok, cool. I see, the others are still shy...we'll give them some more days, ok? :-)
Don't forget the camera meside the bed for tomorrow...

Joey

You dont know how much trouble this got me into, Sarah got compleltly the wrong idea :lol: The spare room wasnt so bad :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joey

Return to Other Brewing Methods