Problem with eSantos

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Problem with eSantos

Postby phil » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:10 pm

I've not attempted to research this problem anywhere else. I hope you guys can help.

I bought a mini eSantos from my good friend SL because I was drinking some very delicate coffees and wanted to see if the eSantos gave a clearer flavour to the brew. For quite a while it did. Then all of a sudden the brews started to tast sour - as if the extraction temperature was low or something, or maybe the brew is just under-extracted.

One of the problems with the eSantos as a device is that you cannot control the extraction time directly. I've always thought it a bit short, and it does vary a bit. It's supposed to be sensitive to how level the surface that you place it on is, and you're supposed to be able to fiddle with the brew time by varying the slope of the base (by propping one side up I think).

Does anyone know anything about this please? I'm finding that my Mbwinjeru (for example) is losing a lot of "information" in my normal press pot brew.
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:28 pm

OK, I've tried the "tip the thing up" and the "use hot water instead" approaches.

The first one didn't seem to do anything for the brew time.

The second one gave me coffee which tasted "boiled". I've had this happen before with cold water starts too - the activity in the brewing chamber can get pretty violent with this brewer so we're probably talking some sort of major oxidation thing going on here.

I think I'm going to have to grasp the nettle soon and rehabilitate my 25-year-old Cona vacpot. I'm losing patience with this thing.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:58 pm

Thats a shame your having a problem with it phil. I use my most days and its tops. It does brew a bit quick but its that cold in the roastery (bbbbrrrrrr :shock: ) that it takes alittle longer than it would in my warm house. Perhaps you will have to brew in the shed :)

Have you asked on Alt.coffee? there normally loads of people with opinins there :) might be able to help
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:21 pm

Did you sort this out phil ?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Nope. Last time I tried using it, it frothed like a mad thing for about a minute only, and the result tasted boiled. Then I got the Gaggia back and my focus changed for a while.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods