Microwave Coffee

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Microwave Coffee

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:22 am

Nothing important, I just wanted to update the "other brewing methods" forum with my latest finding.
I didn't dare buying that thing though, cause I guess I know how it will taste like.

So it was a plastic spoon that looked like a measurment spoon, but the bottom was a sieve, and the top had a little lid to be closed. So as easy as it sounds - fill it with ground coffee, close the lid and put in into a cup of water and then both in the microwave.

For the rest use your imagination please.

Costs: 4,50$

Size: one portion

Colors: white, brown

--------------------------
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby lukas » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:30 pm

waaaaaa!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:54 pm

Definitely not as geeky as my self-heating coffee in the useless gadgets thread, and anybody who uses a microwave to make hot drinks should be boiled alive :twisted:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zix » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:54 pm

heeuuurrghhh. My wife had to drink microwaved tea today, which is also nearly undrinkable.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:57 pm

bizarrely, microwaves seem capable of boiling coffee, but incapable of boiling water properly for making tea (not that I drink the horrid stuff)... one of life's many ironies!
Gouezeri

Postby Belgik » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 am

Butt, butt...pray explain...it would appear the microwave is perfecktly capable of boiling one's ...blood...?!?
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:22 am

It is one of those things Belgik, I have the good fortune of having quite a lot of family in France (d'où tous les commentaires ;-) ) and for some unknown reason, they don't like kettles, electric or otherwise... so they use that wonderful contraption, the microbugger, um, I mean wave. The problem is, to make good tea, as everyone knows, you need to boil the water, but doing so properly in a cup in a microwave (before adding a sachet... pouah), normally means sending water everywhere (et ça se fait pas!), as result, they never really get the water to boiling point... however, if you're trying to re-heat a couple of day old filter coffee, it seems to boil quite nicely :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby moccafaux » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:27 pm

Joey, there are much worse things: just for fun our shop now stocks powdered red wine. Just add water....yeuch.
If you want to try it, I will mail you a bag.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:32 pm

WOW thats sounds very strange, would you be able to mail me a bag? I'll of course pay perhaps send some money paypal or something simular?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Hey Steve, maybe you could do the same thing with coffee... like just add water and there you go.... naaah, it'd never work ;-)
Gouezeri

Postby Beanie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:54 pm

gouezeri wrote:... to make good tea, as everyone knows, you need to boil the water, ...

unless it's Japanese tea or some Chinese tea. Otherwise, you have to wait a minute or 2 after it boils before seeping the tea.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:46 pm

gouezeri wrote:Definitely not as geeky as my self-heating coffee in the useless gadgets thread, and anybody who uses a microwave to make hot drinks should be boiled alive :twisted:

Eek! I guess I won't invite you around then... I often heat milk in the microwave for mixing hot chocolate. Sometimes I heat milk in the microwave and add a double espresso...
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:59 pm

I suppose "warming" milk is ok... but heat it too much and you'll get that yucky skin on top... I'm just not a fan of microwaves :evil:
Gouezeri

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:58 pm

You only get the skin when it cools down... mix in your coffee / hot chocolate / whatever before it cools down and drink it. Why bother heating it up if you're only going to let it cool down again? :-)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby obrienk » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:14 pm

Someone made me coffee (Nescafe) from the hot tap once. Yum Yum.

K.
obrienk

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods