press pot "how to" guide on CoffeeGeek

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

press pot "how to" guide on CoffeeGeek

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:33 am

I just read Mark's "how to" guide on using press pots. I must say, it's very well-written and very clear photographs. In fact, I've been perusing "version 2" of the site, and it's much more organized with great information.

Here's the link to the press pot guide, if you're interested:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot
DrZeus

Postby phil » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:53 am

Mmmm, yes I thought of you when I saw that yesterday - I recall you asked something about a bit back and I never responded. I'll have to read this and see what I think.
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:27 pm

More importantly, I'll have to follow his instructions and see what I think. :)
DrZeus

Postby HughF » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:04 pm

Yes, I was particularly interested that he suggested resting roasted coffee for 2 - 3 days before using it in a press pot; I'll have to try that for french press, not just espresso.

By the way : many will have noticed this already, but I don't think it has been mentioned on TMC yet so ... there is a very good new milk frothing guide there as well since CG V2 launched :

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide

A particularly interesting sequence of photos shows how to have some chance of making microfroth even if your machine has a "frothing aid" (I removed mine so it doesn't apply to me); it's on the page titled "Frothing for Newbies & Intermediates", halfway down the page.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:13 pm

HughF wrote:Yes, I was particularly interested that he suggested resting roasted coffee for 2 - 3 days before using it in a press pot;
Yes, well I always do - it foams enough (from CO2 release) as it is.
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:01 pm

Great article by Mark again! In fact I have printed it, so I can try some new 'idea's' tomorrow (like grinding with Innova in stead of Zass and letting the beans rest a bit longer...). I was allready feeling sorry for my 'criticism' towards coffeegeek, till I spotted 'commercial' interests again. Damn. I whish I did not found it... But why does he have to link to: Bodum. I agree with him it's one of the best (whe have used 4 brands here at home...) but why..?
It looks like an objective instruction guide. In fact it is. But why the advert for Bodum..?

Michel
michel

Return to Other Brewing Methods