Ibrik

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ibrik

Postby Raf » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:28 am

Good post on a.c on Turkish coffee (by Rev. RIch Lyons). I drank it once, tasted very good: a deep, rich taste, almost as good as espresso. Unfortunately, because of my piece of junk Rocky, I can't even contemplate making a Turkish grind at home. Anyone tried it? And what beans would you suggest?

(in case you were wondering: Ibrik is the brand of little kettles used to make Turkish coffee: see also http://www.natashascafe.com/html/turkish.html )
Last edited by Raf on Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

is it sweetened

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:32 pm

Do they put a lot of sugar in Turkish coffee? I can't stand sweetened coffee.

Btw the link doesn't seem to work.

Eward
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:54 pm

It's made by mixing coffee, sugar and water and then letting it stew for a while - it resembles making chocolate milk with fresh cocoa.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

The link

Postby phil » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:42 pm

...works fine for me
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:30 am

I fixed the link - there was a ) at the end of the URL and the browser thought it was part of the URL.

On topic then?

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:19 pm

Does anyone know where they sell ibiks?

steve
Steve
Founder Member

My old mate ....

Postby phil » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:58 pm

Carlo Apcar sells them (retail). http://www.tea-and-coffee-emporium.co.uk. It's his fault I'm a coffee geek, although I've outgrown him. I bought my first espresso machine from him (the Pavoni I sold earlier this year) and I've had loads of pre-roasted from him over the years until my palate woke up to the fact that some of it wasn't as fresh sometimes as it was others. I stopped buying from him when I discovered H&V, and shortly after that I got a Hottop and I started roasting my own.

If you want one for yourself, call him and tell him I sent you. It won't make a blind bit of difference to you or him but it'll salve my conscience for not buying from him after doing so for so many years.

If you want wholesale, I can't help you.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:52 pm

No I dont want retail (yet :D) but I really want one for my collection of machines. Its good to have all the types of brewing method you can. I'll tell him you sent me

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Ibrik

Postby walts » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi. Must just tell you this. Many years ago I was a Missionary to Seamen, with the accent on Foreign. On boarding a large frieghter, I had the pleasure of being invited into the ships galley by a lovely Portuguese cook. Before I even got my feet over the step he was asking me to join him for coffee. Being thirsty I readilly accepted his offer and watched with interest as he ladled coffee grounds (two heaped tablespoons) into a tiny Jezve (Ibrik). There was an almost equal amount of sugar and then water to finish it off. The Jezve was placed almost reverently on the galley stove and we began talking.

As we talked I couldn't help noticing the Jezve. It was bubbling and frothing away like a dervish. I kept hoping that he would soon take it off the stove, as suddenly awakened thoughts of stewed tea kept coming into mind. But he seemed oblivious as to what was happening. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he did evemtually take the Jezve off the stove and delicately poured out two small mugs of thick, very very aromatic coffee. The colour of the brew was very dark and I was very apprehensive of drinking it. But knowing that to offend could lead to some unpleasantness and the loss of a friend. I did drink the coffee.

As an avid tea drinker I found the coffee terrible. It had an almost anaesthetic aroma and the taste was so strong as to defy adequate description. Sweet? Yes, but bitter too and it clutched my throat like the old man of the sea. Before I was halfway through the drink I was feeling very light headed. In fact after thanking the cook for his hospitality and bidding him farewell, I had no need to walk down the long steep gangway, I floated down. It was several hours before I fully recovered from that experience.

Ibrik? Jezve? It is a great tool and I think that I might even buy one should my state pension stretch to it, but leave it boiling on the stove for nearly an hour, no way. Enjoy it. Regards. Walt.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Postby Joey » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:52 am

it should be cooked 3 times, meaning when the bubbles rise you take it off, wait a bit, put it on the stove again, let the liquid rise again, take it off, let it settle and once again the same game...then it's finished.
But be aware that you need a grinde that has to be able to grind turkish - and none of us winder grinders (Mazzer, LSm, whatever) does. I had to buy a Mahlkönig VTA S6 for that (and for grinding bags of coffee for customers real quick).
Turkish grind is like dust! Not sand - dust!

BTW, the ibrik is found in almost any kitchen supply or one of these little cheap shops owned by eastern natives....or the fleamarket.... posted to Moccafaux in his "turkish" thread about the different recipies....

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Return to Other Brewing Methods