New to coffee machines and have a $200 budget range

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New to coffee machines and have a $200 budget range

Postby coffeeidherer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Hey guys,

I am totally new to buying coffee machines and am just looking for some recommendation. I have a total budget of $200 and just have some questions to ask:

Firstly would it be better to buy a separate grinder, or an automatic machine with built-in grinder? What are the pros and cons of each?

I don't have a lot to spend at the moment (due to tough financial times), so I'm hoping to spend as little as possible while having as high quality of coffee as I can get. So which of these two options is better for my situation?

Secondly, are there any recommendations for a machine within my price range? Preferably being on sale during the Christmas holidays.

Thank you so much for your help, looking forward for any advice and sincerely appreciate your responses!
coffeeidherer

Re: New to coffee machines and have a $200 budget range

Postby Coffee Mate » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

Hey,

It's always best to have a grinder built into the machine, as it takes less space, and is a bit less messy and quicker to make a coffee in the end :)

However, having in mind rather low budget, you will really struggle finding a good automatic machine with a grinder, if you want a machine that uses beans.

If you were to purchase a machine without a grinder, I'd highly suggest new Delonghi Dedica Style line, the EC685 model. Those are great, small, yet very powerful machines that are known to perform very well. High 15 bar pressure professional pump, fast heating time (just 40 seconds!), great cappuccino system with the manual frother that can make both the foam, and heat up milk as well. The drip tray is removable and you can fit a taller latte glass if you need to, which is very convenient. Full metal body and mat design makes it look professional and luxurious, although it's a small domestic espresso machine. :) With that one you'll be able to make coffee from pre-gorund beans or use E.S.E pods. If you want, Delonghi makes nice grinders as well, and they're not crazy expensive either. KG89 would be a great choice. It will add up to a bit more than 200, but honestly, there's nothing for less than that worth paying for, in my opinion. :shock:
Coffee Mate

Postby bruceb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 am

Please go back through the archives on this. There are no automatic machines that can be recommended because the built-in grinders are of very poor quality and the machines are all prone to early failure. A good small grinder and pour-over filter are probably your best bet for a good cup of coffee in that price range. Again, please go back and look at the discussions of automatic machines in the archives.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Black Friday is almost here, you may find Bruce's recommendation amongst them. You can also look around for ex display models, I know what it is like to live on a tight budget but I have some decent equipment by careful searching and the nerve to ask for discounted items.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Return to Espresso