La Cimbali M21 Junior - group head overheating problem!

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Cimbali M21 Junior - group head overheating problem!

Postby trevwells99 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Hello!

A quick question regarding group head temp on my tanked, non modified 2004 M21 Junior:

The Junior is set up so that the pressure gauge is reporting between 1.1 and 1.2 bar (needle holding steady at about the beginning of the second third of the green area) as it has been for the past 10 years, after an initial warm up period.

The new phenomenon is that after the machine has been idle for a while, when I cool it down by letting out water through the group head, it takes about 15 seconds before I can no longer see steam coming out the head and stop hearing hissing sounds, where it used to be more like 5 seconds.

It now takes at least 120 ml of water out the head to get rid of all the extra heat in the group head, when it used to be only about 60 ml.

This also happens immediately after brewing, with just a little less steam, but it still seems that the group head is far too hot if steam comes out just after pulling a shot that has been pulled after cooling the group head.

I just want to add that boiler level seems to be adequate as I am able to pull 250 ml of hot water easily and also have enough steam to be able to create great foam in a half filled 500 ml jug easily.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated - my thorough search revealed nothing...

Thanks a lot,

Trev
trevwells99

Return to Espresso