L’Anna further problems with electronics

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

L’Anna further problems with electronics

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 pm

CakeBoy wrote:A quick heads-up just in case anyone is interested. We have been on HD trying to sort a new relay for Anna (a spot of Dr C's trouble has befallen her it seems) and it appears Scott is clearing stock of Coffee Beans knock-boxes amongst other things here.

Those who have been around forever might remember I reviewed them when they were new nearly ten years ago. We are still using one of the larger ones from right back then and it's been immense all this time. It's a shame if they are not going to be around as I always recommend them to people without too much space.

GreenBean wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Cakey :P I hope the new relay soon has Anna back to her old self and providing you with wonderful coffee :D

Thanks GB, we are not sure if it's the Gicar or the relay. Luckily we have a spare Gicar, so we shall await the relay and change both to be sure. Need to ask Chris where the Gicar is accessed to save us moving Anna unnecessarily. We are all a but old and mouldy here! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 am

I am sure Chris can advise you. I get the impression, from the similar problems Chris experienced with his L’Anna, that water damage due to spillage whilst refilling the water tank may play a part in these issues. If that is the case is it worth considering using a wide funnel when refilling to reduce the possibility of future problems?

CakeBoy wrote:...We are all a bit old and mouldy here! :)

I guess that we, and our espresso machines, are growing old and mouldy together :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Yes, I think that may be a good call. Very wobbly people here :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Anna is back. We had thought it was the power supply Gicar that was at fault and had one spare, hence the odd question about location, but it turned out to be the control panel pcb Gicar, which we also luckily had one of to hand without realising. I was having yet another of my cognitive breakdowns and creating muddle! Anyway, all is well and further spares are on the way :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:52 am

Anna is back to her usual self, good coffee is available once more and Spring seems to have finally arrived. Life is good :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 am

Oh, I wouldn't go that far! ;) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 am

Spring has sprung, the grass is riz, I wonder where the birdies iz.....

Good news on Anna. We have now replaced the controller/PCB twice. First time might have been 'helped' by getting water on it through a bolt hole with no bolt *, second time either down to a faulty part/ damage associated with the relay working in a way which didnt help/ just incompetence with me installing it in the first place. It is not a cheap part, for a plastic box with a folded over circuit board inside. But it is easy to get to :)

* The top lid of Anna is supposed to have 2 bolts to hold it down, but they had gone missing before we got ours. Anna really doesn't need them, but the controller sits right below one of the bolt holes, the one right next to the refill pipe...
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am

Chris :) Many thanks, we couldn't find ours visually in her location and didn't want to move her unless necessary. The recent problem turned out to be the button pad circuitry, so we ended up not having to move her. You have solved the mystery, I know where you mean and recall seeing it there in the distant past now. Much appreciated.

Odd one really, I was convinced the controller/pcb was at fault (but I do have a history of assumptive fault finding as we all know! I should have just had the flowmeter changed :oops: :roll:) but we had a spare button pad and tried it. In fact it is the original that was on her for six years or so. The faulty one that has now been replaced was only three or so years old and had been used as part of a fault finding exercise at the time. We are still on our original controller/pcb even though many spills have ensued. The spare awaits its turn! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 pm

We haven't done the buttons one yet. Shame as I believe its about half the price of the other one.

That one just needs the LH panel removed (looking from the front). At, what, 35kg, she does take a bit of muscle to move around. (which fortunately I have)

I have mentioned this before but in our previous house the work surface under Anna did bow enough to have some effect on the opening of the cabinet doors underneath.
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:12 pm

It's a bit of a shame that this thread about the Anna is getting lost in a thread about knock boxes. Is is somehow possible to edit the thread so that if someone looks for information about a popular espresso machine. I, for one, don't know how that would be done, if it is possible.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:59 pm

bruceb wrote:It's a bit of a shame that this thread about the Anna is getting lost in a thread about knock boxes. Is is somehow possible to edit the thread so that if someone looks for information about a popular espresso machine. I, for one, don't know how that would be done, if it is possible.

Thanks for the prompt, Bruce. I have split the thread to separate the issues but it is not possible to duplicate the common posts at the beginning so I have done what I can :wink:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Good job, Cakes. This kind of information is important when a machine goes pffffft. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:32 am

I don't recall the cost of the buttons Chris but they are definitely not as expensive as the controller as you rightly say.

Not sure if it's Anna or me going pfffft the most these days Bruce :)

Excellent job on the thread split GB, many thanks.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Further to all of this, more goings on if anyone can shed light please.

Anna has a new relay and pcb/control pad. She continued to have issues which were alleviated temporarily by a solenoid descale. Here are the symptoms:

1. At the conclusion of a shot, the boiler heater intermittently fails to trigger if the bottom point of the boiler pressure range is reached. There is either no green light or it clicks on and off a few times rapidly and then stays off.
2. Powering off at the wall releases the faulty state.
3. The boiler heater/green light works perfectly during steam draw or whilst idling.

Clearly this is shot process related and the common denominator appears to be the solenoid as it is the only part present in the faulting process that is not involved in the otherwise working processes and there was a temporary positive outcome when it was de-scaled.

A process of elimination with Scott has resulted in a new solenoid and coil being ordered, which is awaited. Meanwhile, the big question is does anyone know if there is any form of electronic safety built into the system in relation to the state of the coil that might prevent the boiler from beginning to heat during a shot and could explain the multiple on off triggers of the green boiler light if indeed the coil is faulty?

Bit of a mystery otherwise as every other part it might obviously be is new.

Thanks all :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dr.chris » Tue May 12, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Cakey

Not seen anything like that specifically. Only times I can think of when I see the flashing green light is when Anna is (almost) choked and struggling to pump water through or a recent intermittent issue when we use one of the programmed buttons and she forgets to stop pumping. Both sound flowmeter related (har har...)
dr.chris

Next

Return to Espresso