Grinder rebuild and downsize

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grinder rebuild and downsize

Postby cwjackso » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi all.

After my last (and first) post here Gary (chissit) offered to sell my an old grinder he had that needed some work, I met up with him to have a look and bought it from him.

Anyway after about a weeks on off fiddling i've got a working grinder (still waiting on new burrs but it does work) so i thouhgt i'd share it with my new community!

The starting point was the Cunill Tauro Grinder.... a little large for the average Kitchen and espressially mine. it was missing the doser which i didn't want anyway. it can be seen with doser etc on the cunill website

So heres a shot of the grinder that i started with.

then i started taking it apart.

Heres the Motor

And the BIG hollow base

After taking it to bits i decided i could lose a good 40mm by getting rid of the big plastic base, i would also lose 100mm off the footprint size of it, the only reason the base was so big is to accomodate the original doser (now gone.)
So i sourced a nice block of oak (dads garage!!) and routed round all 8 edges the drilled it to accomodate the threaded rods, drilled an air hole as the motor has a fan on the bottom i presumed it to be a good idea and then mounted the original rubber feet into 13mm holes.

Next comes POWER!!

the on/off switch was on the plastic base so it had to be relocated, lickily the steel case was dented at the bottom. a perfect oportunity for a coverup.

Sorted with a dremmel!

once i got it back together it was starting to look a bit more kitchen sized!

Heres a shot of the bottom with the holes cut, feet mounted (Got one of the front ones wrong i know!!) and the cable securely in its recess with a 13Amp plug cable strap to hold it in place.

Next came the 2kg hopper, It had to go and a trip to Morrissons found me a sealy tub with the perfect sized bottom, i glued this to the original pushfit connector from the original hopper, this means i still have the cut off flap allowing me to remove the hopper without spilling beans everywhere,

Heres a pic of the modified hopper (and an early paper template chute!)

After that the last thing was the chute itsself. after about 5 designs of card templates i got it about right, stuck the 2 part template to some thin sheet metal and set about it with the dremmel.... again.

after an hour of cutting and folding and finaly drilling wen i had an half decent chute to attach to the grinder.

Not entirely happy as it looks a bit "rough around the edges" but it works perfectly. i may try again or get someone to do it pro if i get round to it.

anyway The finish article next to my gaggia classic. much more healthy in size and function.

Carl
cwjackso

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Brilliant, well-done. Certainly looks much more attractive than my (Banned from the kitchen) MC2.

I had thought of making a nice oak base for my MC2 but it's the grey hammerite and black plastic that bans it from our kitchen no matter how well it grinds.

You're an inspiration.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby espressomattic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Sweet as Bro :D
espressomattic

Postby Sarion » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Wow, looks good! Welcome to TMC by the way!
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby chissit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Nice one Carl, you really can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!

Are you still gonna mount the p/f holder & microswitch?
This week, I are mainly juggling too many balls...

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby cwjackso » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Took the microswitch off for now. will see how it goes without. Not 100% sure on the advantage having never had a grinder before.

If anything i may mount the switch and holder along with a timer. again tho. how acurate are they and is it worth doing?

I'm open to ideas on this or anything else that may improve things.

ATM the grinder will work from the main on off switch, so would be turn on grinder, holder filter under chute. open flap to let some beans through. then close and turn off once full.

i noticed from the pics it looks like the chute is 1 piece of metal, its not it's a bottom and a top with flaps that overlap. (part 1 like the paper template on pics 9 & 10 but higher sides, part 2 a top cover for it to stop grinds flying everywhere)

Carl
cwjackso

Postby Ordo.dk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:14 am

Respect! That's very nice work right there!
Any technology distinguishable from magic, is insufficiently advanced.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Macap M4 Micrometric Doserless
Hottop
Imex CR-100
Some cool tamper
Bodum Antigua (for plunger)
Ordo.dk

Postby JohnYossarian » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:37 am

Hi Carl,

Great work indeed!

I am in the same boat with a Cunill Space grinder, a bulky excellent performer (Thanks go to Gary... again :D ).

I have been thinking of following a similar route as the situation kitchen-wise is still being negotiated. Yours looks very pretty short and ready to go:).

I liked thye idea Gary suggested to use a microswitch but have not thought on it. I might some guys from the electronic workshop at work and can PM you if you would be interested.

Keep it rolling!

Cheers,
Jordan
JohnYossarian

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 am

Nicely done Carl and it looks great too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Well done Carl. Huge difference.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby cwjackso » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone,

Just need some fresh beans now so i can really start getting better,

If i make any chyanges i'll let you all know, maybe a timer/microswitch.

Or my next project may be to PID my espresso machine!

Carl
cwjackso

Postby zix » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

maybe a timer/microswitch

I like the kind of "portioning" solution that mr Bicht did with the hopper on his Versalab M3. Yes, it does look very different from your grinder, but with you being so handy and all, I am sure you could work something like it out for your grinder too.

Congrats on the new old grinder, and well done! A very inspiring thread, indeed!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby cwjackso » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 pm

not aware of it??

a link maybe an i'll see what i can do ;)

Carl
cwjackso

Postby zix » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 pm

cwjackso, are you referring to my post? The new hopper on the M3?
http://versalab.com/server/coffee/grindernew.html
It portions a double espresso batch of beans down the tube when you pull the red pin. When moving it back to its original position it gets refilled with another double espresso batch. It works much like a trumpet piston valve. (Or, I think it does. I only extrapolate from what I see in the image)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby cwjackso » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 pm

I see how it works and its good...... BUT

with my grinder and many others theres very little chance of getting accuracy, i presume with that grinder the grinds drop verticle out of the burs into the portafilter, with must grinders i know of including mine, the grinds come out sideways then down the chute, Theres inevitable clogging in certain areas that mean a 7gr dose of beans would never equal a 7gr dose of grinds it would vary wildly unless you cleaned out the grnder into the PF by shaking it/brushing it on every dose.

This is also why i'm scepticle about the timer too.

MAYBE just maybe its easier to judge by volume in the PF using experiance and knowledge of beans/equipment as a guide than trying to make something like this work.

Afterall even the design above even tho very good, has a flaw in that measuring beans on volume not weight will have problems just due to the irregular shape and size of beans.

For example, immagine filling your PF with beans not grinds, level with the top, emptying onto accurate scales then repeating with a different hand full of beans, i presume the weight would vary much more than if you did the same with lose grinds, just due to air gap and the way the beans sat.

God i'm waffling on now!!!!
cwjackso

Next

Return to Espresso