Portafilter wear - when to throw in the towel

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Portafilter wear - when to throw in the towel

Postby 300CUPS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:40 pm

Having no prior experience with this, at what point is a portafilter considered too worn to be acceptable? The Gaggia XD is almost returned to operational condition with many new parts, and the last point of consideration are the PFs.

They lock (with baskets in but without coffee since we're not operational yet) well beyond 6 o'clock. I am hoping that this is due to wear on the PFs and not the group heads The groups have new gaskets, but no gasket shims, which seem to be developed to accommodate this wear and tear.

The PFs have not been particularly looked after; exterior chroming is more or less intact, but interiors are scrubbed bare brass (not sure if they would have been originally chromed as well?).

Will new PFs likely address the lock position, or is the wear likely to be evenly distributed between the PF and the group head? If the latter I had better get some of those paper shims as well.

thanks for any input. Brian
By hook or by crook, I will get milk steaming figured out.

Gaggia XD two group; Rossi RR45; Zassenhaus; various Presses.
300CUPS

RE: Portafilter wear - when to throw in the towel

Postby lukas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:55 pm

I think that just putting a few of these paper rings above the gaskets may solve your problem. Besides getting old and dirty (which you can of course change :)) I don't see why old pf's shouldn't be used anymore. Of course if they're broken they're broken, but they're obviously not :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi Brian, It is good to hear that your XD is almost ready to go. Extra thick gaskets are also available. From memory I think the original is 8.5 mm thick and that 9.5 mm thick are available. I am using these in my XD instead of the paper shims.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby kingseven » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:21 pm

You just need to replace the rubber seals around the group head (as others have already said).

In a busy machine I'd do this at least every three months. If the seals haven't been changed recently then you will probably have to fight to get them out. (I have had to chisel in the past!)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:40 pm

There are a lot of good ways to get the group-head gaskets out, but they're all scary. The best is to drill a hole into the gasket and then screw a wood screw into it and through it, which pushes the gasket up so you can then lever it out. It really works well. If you have any questions PM me.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby chemistone » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:13 pm

Bruce,

That's funny. I use the same trick. I don't drill a hole, but screw in the wood screw a few turns. For me that is enough to loosen up the gasket. By this the grouphead is not damaged.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby espressomattic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:22 pm

Wow, three months Jim? Crikey, I need to change that gasket! Ah yes the old screw trick...tho only time I can break something and feel good about it! 8)
espressomattic

Postby Gadders » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 pm

lol!!!
Gadders

Postby kingseven » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

3 months for a commercially busy machine.

That said - they are only pennies and being gentle with the pf also helps slow the damage.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby espressomattic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:25 pm

*Sighs with relief*

Saying that my group head has started to leak a little, I am awaiting a jaguar replacement that fits snugly in Oscar, but will have to wack a spare in today. The old one has een in for 14 months now I think...
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 am

Our gasket and showerscreen get changed every 3 months at descale time. The difference is noticeable straight away.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby 300CUPS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 am

Thanks for the input everyone. Indeed, there is in fact nothing wrong with the PFs other than their lock position which is simply due to wear. This is a commercial machine that has seen many years of continuous service. It is now going to have many years of comfortable retirement in my kitchen.

The gaskets and group head plates etc were in a sorry state, and were removed with the input of members here on a different thread. The gaskets and screens were replaced with original spec'ed parts, and the group heads are in fine shape now. I am intrigued to hear about the availability of thicker replacement ones and will use these next round. Some shims will be in order to get the locking position sorted.

On a final note, I was perhaps looking for a good reason to drop even more money into this machine by adding a naked PF. Since it can't be deemed absolutely necessary right now, I'll just wait for Christmas!

Best, Brian
By hook or by crook, I will get milk steaming figured out.

Gaggia XD two group; Rossi RR45; Zassenhaus; various Presses.
300CUPS

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:44 am

Necessary, definitely necessary :wink: Back me up here people, there's money to be spent :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Aadje » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:51 am

Naked PFs can't wait . . . naked PF's are what you call necessary . . . ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 am

I don't like to agree with Gouezeri, but in this case I have no choice. Just look at the portafilter and think about how a nice, brand-new, shiny one would look. Then think about the incredible sight of those first drops of nectar as they oooooze out of the bottom of the basket! Think about the feel of newness in your hand!

But don't just think about the subjective aspects, think also about the fact that your espresso making talents really deserve a naked portafilter! Think about how many of us have testified on the enormous improvement a naked portafilter has brought in our efforts to make the best possible shots.

And don't forget, you will want two new naked portafilters, one for your single and one for your double basket...oh, and new baskets are definitely a must, two of each. Pearwood handles are beautiful, btw. They will improve the general appearance and appeal of your machine immeasurably! Especially if you have a matching handle made for the lever. Ahhh, there are almost limitless opportunities to improve on our kit and our coffee. We must never let money or "common sense" interfere with our aims.

Friends, we must help one another keep our priorities straight! When a brother or sister begins to have doubts or be influenced by a philistine we must act quickly and in unison. Let us now sing our anthem, "If it's Real it's Made of Copper, Brass and Stainless Steel!" All together now...
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Next

Return to Espresso