water the pressure drops to zero and then it needs a further 10 minutes to
get back up to temp!

any ideas guys?

cheers

Oli
dvs100

RE: Izzo Alex pressure problem?

Postby lukas » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:08 pm

It sounds like the overpressure valve is clogged up. If it has one that is, but I would guess so!
In normal operation, it let's the air that's in the boiler escape during heat up and when a certain pressure is reached, it closes. If it doesn't work, there's still air in the boiler. This makes the pressostat not work because it sees 1.2 bar (or similar) but 1.2 with air in the boiler is way less hot than 1.2 bar pure water/steam pressure. Does that make sense? I'm a bit confused today.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Izzo Alex pressure problem?

Postby beansmeanshighs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi Oli
Is it doing a lot of hissing ? the vacuum breakers are a bit poor on the alex , which tends to lead to the opv failing. Also check that the level fill sensor has not come loose. the bit on top with the lead next to the vacuum breaker. Are you in a hard water area might need a citric descale. I am on my 3rd vacuum breaker since feb , they have just changed the component to a different manufacture appears to be better.
beansmeanshighs

Postby dvs100 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:10 am

so how do i get hold of and repair this problem? i'm gonna try and so a descale as i have never done one and might help?
dvs100

Postby beansmeanshighs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:00 am

1 1st turn the power off at the socket unplug it .
2 Check the level probe is pushed in correctly. You need to remove the tray and 4 screws that hold the lid in place. The level probe sits on top of the boiler next to the anti vac valve ( vacuum breaker )
3 Remove the anti vac valve with a spanner and give it a clean in hot water ( you can usually tell if its gunged up ) . Good sign to know if you need to descale
4 Put this all back together before you descale .
5 Turn the machine off
6 To descale open the hot tap and empty water into a container add 40 g of citric acid and then add about 350ml of cold water .
7 Remove your plastic water tank and insert the two feed pipes into the descaler solution,
8 Switch machine back on and wait while boiler fills with descale solution.
9 Let the machine warm up for a couple of minutes ( watch the gauge make sure it does not go into red , if it does open steam wand a bit) Draw about 100 ml of water through the hot wand.
Then run 150ml through the group head .
Put the blind filter in the pf and backflush release pressure very carefully
10 Then turn machine off and leave it for approx 30 mins
11 Switch it back on and let it warm up , backflush more descaler through the group wait a few minutes between each flush do this 3 or 4 times . ( you will need to make another batch of descaler as you start to keep flushing the group )
12 Then turn the machine off .
13 Wait 20 mins switch machine on wait till up to temperature and then Switch off , place a container under the hot water outlet and drain the tank .
14 Refill your main plastic tank with clean water give the pipes a quick rinse in cold water to remove any descaler solution put feed pipes back in tank.
15 Now you have to keep flushing the machine at least about 6 times until the hot water out of the tank , does not smell and has lost that blue / green colour . You will also see little shiny brassy silvery bits in the drained water from the group and the boiler , do not worry this is just where the action of the lever and the fact its clean rubs slightly.

To keep flushing machine , fill tank with clean water Switch machine on let the boiler fill . let it get to temperature , draw water through group and steam wand . Then switch off and drain the hot water tank , refill plastic tank keep doing this .
Please note you may have to rinse up to 10 times with clean water until your happy with taste .

Anti vac valve £5
Citric acid £8 a bag
1 hour of your time
One nice clean machine
beansmeanshighs

Postby dvs100 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:00 am

so is the breaker valve the bolt thingy slightly to the left of the centre and is the level probe the bit to the right of the breaker?

should i know anything when unscrewing the breaker valve and where can i get a better one?

cheers for your instructions buddy!!
dvs100

Postby beansmeanshighs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:25 am

Correct the one with the lead is the probe which looks fine . The anti vac valve is the hexagon shaped nut .

Just make sure the machine is off and reasonably cool when you unscrew it. anti clockwise . You will need a bit of pfte tape ( plumbers tape) to go back around the thread . Bellabarista have an online order basket with the replacement bits not sure if you are allowed to link on here to commercial businesses . have a look under parts . they are stocking a new type the old one ( yours ) is not very good . New one is a bit bigger and looks more substantial . i would still say its possibly a scale issue but taking the vac valve out will show any signs of scale it may just need a clean hence losing pressure .
Also check the opv valve the one on the far top right . you can take this one out and give it a clean same procedure.
beansmeanshighs

Postby dvs100 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am

this isnt my machine, i just nicked this pick off of another site :wink:

i will take a look tonight and add a pic if mine is different.....

cheers again and wish me luck!

Oli
dvs100

Postby chissit » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 pm

It's the anti vac valve for sure, it's a quick and easy fix. Normally a clean and the lightest smear of silicone grease.
It's good practise and less frustrating if you open the steam wand slightly when you fire the machine up, then close it when steam starts escaping... No false pressure readings that way, but do repair the anti vac valve as if it get clogged completely you could end up with a squished boiler :cry:

PM me if you need a little grease sending down
This week, I are mainly juggling too many balls...

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby dvs100 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm

so do i need 2 spanners to remove it?
dvs100

Postby beansmeanshighs » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:05 pm

No just the hexagon nut on the anti vac valve turn it anti clockwise . Just put the spanner on the chrome nut
beansmeanshighs

Return to Espresso