HX questions

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

HX questions

Postby michel » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:20 pm

Two questions:
Does anybody know where I can purchase a Rancilio 3 hole steam-tip in Europe (preferably the Netherlands, but any other country will do)?
WholeLatteLove - who sells these tips - doesn't ship to Europe, and I desperately need one to replace my stock two-hole tip on Giotto.
Everything was oke - I had great micro-foam - but since I adjust the level of the water in the boiler... and can't find the level it was, frothing is a crime... I think I've tried all to adjust it to the 'old' level, but nothing seems to improve the steam-capacity... So I'm stuck with a great machine with frothing problems... For me this is no problem (I use Elektra for frothing most of the times, but as my wife doesn't feel comfortable with using Elektra... and she wants to make cappa's herselve...)

The Rancilio tip should solve the probem. (Although I'm not sure if the Commercial-line of Rancilio uses this 3-hole-tip, or that these tips are made by WLL and 1st-line themselves... Cleverdic, how many holes does your tip has..?)
So please... Anybody any clue..?

Second question: How does one know what the right level of water in the boiler of a HX is..? Is there some sort of trick to know how low/high to locate the 'sensor' into the boiler?

Thanks,
Michel
michel

Postby cleverdic » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:40 am

Michel,
You are getting personal asking how many holes my tip has. It happens to be 3 if you must know. :lol: I'm assuming you mean the threaded screw on type which is what I have.

I'll ask my local Rancilio guy if I can get this item and let you know.
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby michel » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:55 am

It's indeed the threaded screw on type I'm looking for.
Thanks,
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Re: HX questions

Postby Joey » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:18 pm

michel wrote:Second question: How does one know what the right level of water in the boiler of a HX is..? Is there some sort of trick to know how low/high to locate the 'sensor' into the boiler?

Hi, I hope I'm not too late - I don't know if the Rancillio has the same glass in the front where one can see the water level. If it does, it should be quite in the middle.
The little thingy that looks like a wire going down in a tube beside the boiler - that's how it looks on a La San Marco - is pushed into it very deep. Play with it and see how the level in the glass viewer changes...

If you don't have one - sorry, than I have no idea how deep it has to be at a Rancillio - but boilers are usually filled half, maybe a bit more.
greetings
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby michel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:13 pm

Too late Joey, but thanks for your effort anyway...
My top end semi-professional Giotto (I'm unfortunately not the owner of a real professional Rancillio) has no glass in front... so I have to do adjust the waterlevel blinded...
The good news is that Cleverdic is sending me a Rancilio 4 hole steam-tip (which should fit my Giotto) and all problems should be solved...
So for the moment I'm just waiting for the mailman/woman to arrive... :D
michel

Return to Espresso