Knob Coffee Grinder / Project

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Knob Coffee Grinder / Project

Postby dantesawakening » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi guys, I am a product designer and, I just graduated. I and my mates develop a new kind of coffee grinder, and we launch it on Kickstarter at the end of the month. I want to share the project with you and I wonder about your ideas about the grinder. Me and my mates worked on it really hard, and create unique designs and mechanisms.

https://www.knobgrinder.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZiME1QYsYY
dantesawakening

Re: Knob Coffee Grinder / Project

Postby harly30 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:51 pm

What an amazing work...

Twelve or so years ago, my first ‘coffee machine’ was a Braun Espresso Master, which came with a Braun spice grinder. This nasty little Braun is long gone, but the grinder lives on as a great spice grinder.

When the Braun died, I started reading up and visiting forums, over-researching things in my usual Aspergers-like fashion. Based on reviews and opinions on different websites, I got a second-hand Rancilio Audrey, which came with a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. Now I was cooking with gas. While Audrey was a weapon compared to the Braun, the EM0480 was a nightmare,

I picked up a second-hand Rocky grinder of Fleabay, and fitted new burrs. After the EM0480, the Rocky impressed me – steel, brass, aluminum, smooth, and heft, mucho heft. (The mother-in-law will attest to this, she picked it up from Taree, and brought him down to Canberra in her carry-on luggage.) And better yet, Rocky, like Audrey, was pull-apart-able. No silly plastic clips, but real threads and fasteners. They were designed to be repaired - to live forever. Now Rocky isn’t perfect, the adjusting thread is a bit loose, the speed is a bit fast, and the adjusting detent is a little coarse. As per advice, Teflon tape fixed two of the problems, and Rocky is well-loved.
harly30

Re: Knob Coffee Grinder / Project

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:01 am

Gosh, we have an old Audrey tucked away that I picked up nearly twenty years ago. We added a PID mod, which was all the rage at the time. Lovely little machine, it became very temperature stable. Eventually the brew water became tainted, I think with a boiler issue. We never did get around to looking at the cause.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso