Microfoam

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Microfoam

Postby Uberwolf » Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am

Over the years my milk stretching skills have gone up and down, sometimes every jug of milk I stretch is the best microfoam ever, then I use speciality shops for a while for my coffee fix and when I return to my machine my foaming skills have gone to sh1t. Well this morning I went to open a new carton of milk from the fridge, because it had been stored at the back of the fridge there was a big lump of ice milk in the carton. I poured the usual amount of milk into the jug and started steaming, the result was excellent, I have never produced such perfect microfoam in my life, just a tip for ppl having issues with steaming their milk, leave the carton in the freezer for an hour before use and see what happens. I reckon about 25% of the milk in the carton had turned to ice. Or you could leave the frothing jug with the milk in, in the freezer for 40 mins or so.
Gaggia Baby Class/Gaggia MDF Grinder/RB Tamper
Uberwolf

Re: Microfoam

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:31 am

That’s an interesting one Uberwolf. Have you experimented further since your post?

We have been using non-homogenised Duchy Organic milk from Waitrose for years now because it streams better and tastes better. I think some of thee very cheap milk around tastes watery and has poor proteins. I had never thought how storage temperature might make a difference.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso