Long life milk EUUUW

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:20 pm

Nespresso is still quite interesting stuff.

Its about 5.5g of coffee, and its very coarsly ground. Through a combination of how they use the vibe pump and little rubber discs in each capsule and other things like that - they achieve an incredible crema. Too fluffly [sic] for me, and the taste is so very very bland. They crowbar a lot of robusta in and get very cagey when you start talking to them abou their roasting and blending - which I suppose is fair enough. Even their 7g commercial pucks are thin on flavour.

Clever stuff though - if monstrously expensive.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:48 pm

joey wrote:But it shouldn't be called espresso. just coffee.
there are many ways to make "a coffee", but there is just one way to make "an espresso".

Huh, chief joey has spoken ;-D

I 1000000000% agree with you. That's what I say to everybody around me. It is not an espresso. That's what I liked with Senseo at their beginings, they were only talking about coffee and not espresso. Btw, I tried Senseo for the first time last week and it's just like nespresso, I think they're putting vanilla in their "vienna blend".
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Raf » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Jim, do you know if they use any chemical stuff to enhance that crema? I mean 5 grams has to be too little to achieve any decent crema, right? Plus, those shots come through in like 10 seconds if I remember correctly from my own Nespresso days (yes, I'm duly ashamed of those).
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:56 pm

joey wrote:What is with the "espresso" made in these Italian stove top cooking devices, which even the Italians call "espresso"? The silver thingies you have to unscrew, fill, close and wait for boiling.... how much coffee gets how much pressure, water...and so on..... ????

mmmmh. I don't know, italians, at least in my region (Marche), call this Moka. I never heard an italian talking about espresso if it isn't. Of course, some may be wrong but it's rare.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Raf » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:00 pm

I have to disagree on the Senseo, Stéphane: it's not just like Nespresso, it's worse.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Open House