Espresso handmill shopping guide

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Espresso handmill shopping guide

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:32 pm

Dear Coffee Addicts,

I'am about to buy an espresso mill, to grind the coffee for my Gaggia espresso machine by myself.
I'd be glad about any useful information to Zassenhaus, Peugeot, etc. Espresso hand mills.

Thanks
Jan

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:36 pm

Although I dont know much about the mills you've stated, in my experiance hand mills just dont give a fine enough grind. A minimum spec for a mill for espresso should be a burr ginder so you can achive a fine powder like grind. What country are you from and perhaps members will be able to point you in the direction of retailers who can supply you with one of these machines.

Hope this helps a little and welcome TMC, and hey why not put in a membership request so you can join the coffee addicts :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:57 pm

Eeffoc wrote:Although I dont know much about the mills you've stated, in my experiance hand mills just dont give a fine enough grind.

My wife bought me a regular Zassenhaus and the most fine grind is almost too fine for my Oscar.
They have special espresso hand grinders which I think, if they work as good as the regular one I have, should gives great results.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby phil » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:33 pm

I can support the Zass as something that I know others use with success for espresso. I believe the Turkish version is preferred.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:57 pm

Zassenhaus, deffinitely Zassenhaus.
They can grind very fine and it's a nice wake up ritual in the morning ;-)
You can get really cheap ones at ebay or very often in antique stores.
I just found out that my grandmother had one, so I got it from her.
Ask your elderly relatives first - you will be surprised what hidden treasures you'll find.
I also got an old roasting pan :-D

Good luck!
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby HughF » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:51 pm

I have the Zass "Knee Mill" and, as I don't risk using it between my knees, I find it a bit unstable if using it on a table-top - it's tall and narrow and rocks about quite a bit when you turn the handle. People on the SM list have plugged the Zass 169 (even for espresso use) which is much wider and meant more for table-top use. Although the Knee Mill (Model 156) can be carried in a briefcase and kept in any desk drawer due to it's slimness, I'd far rather have spent a few more pounds and had the 169 but that's hindsight for you!

I find the grind quality very good for cafetiere but I haven't needed to try it for espresso myself.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:36 pm

I have the Zass 169. I use it when away from home, but only for french press, for which it is excellent. I cannot comment personally on its usability for espresso - my recommendation there is based on hearsay, albeit a significant amount of it.

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:44 am

Why do you want to grind by hand, Jan?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:39 am

Because he doesnt have the money at the moment for a good electric grinder.
Jan is a colleague at work how asked me about handmills. since I dont know much about them, I encouraged him to post his question here.
I can probably get him top apply for membership.
On a normal saturday when we work together I usually bring several coffees, a mill, a Bialetti and a stove. We then try everything, him being very demanding (as a good cook, gourmet and conniseur of vines he is much more critical than me) :twisted: .
And his girlfriend told me that after my last visit he started to go ballistic over his espressomachine in the morning. With stopwatch and everything.
So there is hope :wink: .

Postby phil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:46 am

Hi

So if *you're* not Jan, are you someone we know? It doesn't matter of course, we're happy to help. I'm just curious after your posting above.

Cheers

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:54 am

Sorry, have been not logged in while posting this.
Moccafaux

Postby phil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:03 pm

Good man Moccafaux.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:57 pm

I bought the Zass Turkish (Mocha) from Oliver at http://www.preusslers.de/ it's not on his web site but he gave me a good price from an email enquiry. It works well and will grind very fine but as with all hand grinders, the finer you want it the longer it takes! So I'd say buying a hand mill for espresso may not be a long term solution.

Check our their web site http://www.zassenhaus.com/
alans

Postby Joey » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:57 pm

He should try to get a Turmix E20 on ebay for some bugs. Nice little grinder with burrs, very good adjustable, not often to find because they are not produced anymore. Still they go cheap on ebay as nobody knows how good they are. I am the highest bidder on one right now, but I could let it go for Jan if he tells me his ebay name and I see he is bidding:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... B:TB5:DE:2

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:20 am

Thanks to all of you for your great response and support to my request, even though I'm no initiate in the exclusive coffee-insider-network!!!

Special thanks to joey. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to react to your very convenient ebay option, because my girlfriend and I went down to italy shortly after I posted my question. We've been freeclimbing and hiking in the midst of a gorgeous mediterranean flora and landscape, swimming in the well temperatured sea, exploring the narrow lanes of sleepy villages, which seem to be glued to the rock or carved out of it, enjoying ligurien delicacies underneath pregnant olive trees… And of course drinkink italien café, whole loads of it. If german bar and café tenders would be capeable of brewing such a good dope for 80 cent a cup, my history of addiction to the black nectar would've started much earlier.

Now back in Germany in the Frankfurt (Main) area everything seems to be not even as half as convincing. A well known phenomenom, but not really surprising, since two days ago my breakfast took place under the sun in shorts and t-shirt, today I've got a second compulsory shower on the bike way to my flat, freezing to death. But we all have to cope with that…

Joey, your suggestion made me reconsider my decision to go for a handmill. But still I'm not sure where I'll end up.

Meanwhile I'll check the ebay offers and drink excellent coffee with "Moccafaux", who gave the laudatio on my ambitions as a gourmet. He is the most educated and trained connoisseur of coffee I know of. And he knows at least as much or less as I do about good food. Thanks, Moccafaux!

Armed with a scale and stopwatch I'll try to come closer to the secret of real good espresso my Gaggia (beginner warehouse type model) has to offer.

Jan

Return to Open House