How to do a total cleanup for Faema Express

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How to do a total cleanup for Faema Express

Postby willem » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:56 am

Hi,

I've been at the TMC site from time to time. I'm using a Gaggia Coffee and Gaggia MDF grinder. I know how to clean/descale the Gaggia, but recently I bought a Faema Express with external water softner and Fiorenzato Mestre grinder. Yes, I know it's a big machine for a home setup, but I like a good espresso.
I want to clean the external water softner which should be recharged with coarse salt but I do not know how to do that?
I want to flush the Faema, the hot water spout delivers brown water?
Any help is very much appreciated.

Willem (Holland)
willem

Postby chemistone » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:05 am

In industry you generaly pump a salty solution through the bed. ( I prefer an acid solution, so no Na ions are released, but that requires a different IE unit).
Brown water through the spout doesn't sound good.
Did you buy a new machine or a second hand?
Have you descaled the Faema?

Why don't you join us, sounds you are a real coffee addict just like the rest of us.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby scottwhite » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 am

shouldn't really use a salt regenerated filter on an espresso machine, they are designed for dishwashers and the like.

descale it get a proper filter (one of the blue ones, or a 1000 Litre one that looks like a tube of bathroom sealant) flush that group head with puly caff, change the group seal and shower plate and your away.
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:26 pm

I bought the Faema second hand in April 2006. Need to flush it. How do I do that?
OK, how do I regenerate it then? Any info on other water softeners are very welcome? I'm here to learn, so any comments or pointers are good.
Nevertheless I've still some open questions.

I'll subscribe to the TMC!

Willem (Holland)

Postby chemistone » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:33 pm

You need a backflush filter, which is basicly a filter without the holes. A description of how to backflush can be found here.
Descaling a commercial machine can be difficult, how big is your boiler? Buy a micave descale solution and if you have a big boiler use more descaler, but keep the concentration the same. Leave me a PM if you need more help, so I can give you my phonenumber.
Scott is right, get a different water softener, if you need one (depending on where you live). What is the "hardheid" of your water.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Return to Open House