Advice needed for first timer

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Advice needed for first timer

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:27 pm

Hi lads

Like to first congratulate you all on a very informative forum, very nice indeed.
Need advice as to which way to go with around £500, Bean to Cup or the seperate Machine and Grinder way.
Have to say the more I read the more complicated it becomes.
I like a good espresso and the occasional cappuccino and am quite fussy about what i drink. The machine would only be for me and my mrs as we do not entertain that much
My dilemma is that I want to wake up in the morning and get a cuppa as quick as possible however I do no mind spending time making a time consuming coffee later on in the evening etc as that should be fun.
My intention is to fit a timer so the machine starts up 30 mins before I get up so it is all warmed up.
Have been looking at the Saeco Sirius however from what I have read these automatic machines are not so good on taste and worse of all have a very short life span so am a bit put off spending close to £600 for a machine that might last 2-3 yrs.
Other machine have been looking at is the Rancillo Silvia which seems a very popular machine but seems hard work early in the morning.
So that is my problem which way do I go.
Any suggestions pls ? as am starting to lose sleep.

Thanks

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Forgot to mention am limited for space also so the more compact the better.

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:16 pm

If you intend to use a timer then the Silvia shouldn't really be too bad in the morning. Grind your coffee and fill and tamp. Run hot water into the cups..enough to bring the heater element on then when it goes out count 34 secs or so and pull your shot. Not really too long to wait and worth it.

I think you'll find that opinion here will back your opinion of bean to cup machines. The Silvia is a good solid machine that will give good service and a good cup of coffee. The cost should leave you enough to buy a decent grinder which needs to grind fine enough for the espresso machine.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:00 am

If you go bean to cup don't spend loads. They can make a decent consistent coffee, though not as good as any pretty good operator with reasonable kit, but they are basically plastic so the smaller the investment the better as they are not overly resillient. I would go with a Sylvia if time and learning curve permits.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info lads, I think my mind is made up. Have to convince the Mrs now as she does not particularly like the looks of the Silvia, must be the name bit of jelousy creeping in I reckon ;)
Which grinder would you recomend lads ? While browsing the forum came across one for just over £100 which was highly praised but forgot the name, was something like MD or MN or something simillar.
Last question, has anyone dealt with those couple of Italian companys that export to the UK as they are cheaper and I am VAT rgistered so there is an extra 20% knocked off the price.
Wondered if they were OK to deal with or if not which UK company would you recomend for a fair price.

Thanks again for your advice.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Found the grinder, its an MC2 and seems to be a fav with lots of users, presume its ok for the Silvia.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:43 pm

Yup, will do the job perfectly and at the price they are a fab deal.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:07 pm

OK decision made on grinder also thx . Where is the best place to get the Silvia in the UK ? Those Italian traders no go you reckon lads ?
Rung Rancillo uk importer, think it was Drury and they say they would not honour guarantee if I imported one from Italy. Shame as read that Saeco/Gaggia do honour the guarantee when imports that go wrong.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:13 pm

Not sure about where to get the Sylvia. Some of the Sylvia owners here should be able to help you more.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:36 am

As far as I am aware Drury is the only suppler in the UK. I bought mine there and it's never gone wrong so I don't know how they are for service. Never heard anything bad about them though.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:59 am

Drury is the only importer in the UK (closed shop), but they have a good rep so should be fine
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:35 am

Ok thx guys will have a look at the price from Drury compared to an imported one and see if the saving is worth the risk. Decisions my hair is going grey.

Return to Open House