TMC Grinder Guide

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Wed May 31, 2006 7:11 pm

Don't underestimate the influence of a *good* grind to the quality of french press coffee comperade to a bad grind.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby PerfectPourUK » Wed May 31, 2006 7:25 pm

And an alternative list

£0-£50 (0-70EUR)
Save up some more!

£50-£150 (70-215EUR)
Demoka M-203

£150-£250 (215-360EUR)
Conti Valerio MCI/MCF
Macap M4

£250 (360EUR) and over
Cimbali Junior
Mazzer Mini
Tools Of the Trade:
Arte Di Vittoria "La Valentina" (Semi Automatico)
Conti Valerio M.C.I. (Doserless)
Work: La Spaziale S5
Work: Mahlkönig K30ES

Currently Playing With:
Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira Canario
Brazil Daterra Cerrado
Guatemala Finca Entre Rios
PerfectPourUK

Postby scook94 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Hmmm, not many recommendations for a manual (i.e. non-electric) grinder/mill that can be taken on travels/hols. Anyone have any info on when Zassenhaus might be shipping?
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby zix » Wed May 31, 2006 9:12 pm

After reading up on some turkish grinder/Zass 175 threads on CG, I have become interested in finding real turkish grinders. (I have the Zass 175M and like it, but having another grinder is always good, right?)
To me, the cylindrical turkish grinder is a lot better suited for travelling than the "boxy" wood grinders. Anyone here that has seen turkish grinders on some european website? It seems silly to order them from USA when they are made in Turkey (and Greece).
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

a decent entry grinder..

Postby mo go gear » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:38 pm

Mo here,
My grinders have gone from a :

Hand Turkish grinder= $10 ( in Turkey)nice but a lot of grinding on espresso grind!!! Still have it- but for show or back up.

La Pavoni Jolly dosato+ (used) $80- Ok but didn't like doser at all!

Nuova Simonelli MCF= $250 new= really like this one and have now!! Micro metrical / stepless, removable hopper with closable bean -holder ( Like Mazzer) to hold beans in place when removing . Low profile= 12.5 " tall. Convertable to Doserless. I think this would sell in UK for about 150 L?

$= USD

mo go gear
mo go gear

Postby scook94 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm still trying to find a manual grinder for my hols and came across this one, anyone used it or have anything positive or negative to say about it?

Thanks,
Steven.
scook94

Postby scook94 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Well thanks for the replies to my query... :? I received a voucher for Amazon so I've went ahead and ordered the Bodum grinder. I'll report back on how it fares...
scook94

Postby HughF » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:55 am

scook94 wrote:Well thanks for the replies to my query... :? I received a voucher for Amazon so I've went ahead and ordered the Bodum grinder. I'll report back on how it fares...

I haven't used one or even heard of the thing so I didn't post, I imagine it's the same for everyone else as your request was specific to that grinder - nothing personal!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby scook94 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:12 am

Hugh,
Yeah I realise that, I shouldn't have posted that comment. I guess we can just get too used to others having blazed a trail before us where coffee equipment is concerned. I guess it's up to me this time!!!
scook94

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 am

zix wrote
To me, the cylindrical turkish grinder is a lot better suited for travelling than the "boxy" wood grinders.

My brass Turkish grinder looks great in the cabinet, but takes 4 times longer to grind a double than the Zass - also the adjuster on mine isn't working.
Guest/mo mo gear wrote
Hand Turkish grinder= $10 ( in Turkey)nice but a lot of grinding on espresso grind!!!

Yep, could be adapted to work with a re-chargeable screwdriver, but defeats the object of 'travelling light'.
scook wrote
I received a voucher for Amazon so I've went ahead and ordered the Bodum grinder. I'll report back on how it fares...

I would be interested in your Bodum when it arrives. I have a boating holiday in September and the Bodum looks more compact than the Zass. I'll prob match it to an Aerobie.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Previous

Return to Open House