Macap M4 doser or doserless?

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Macap M4 doser or doserless?

Postby nilesp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm just getting started with the whole quality-coffee-at-home-thingy and have set my eyes on a Francis! X3 Trio and the Macap M5 and have a question regarding the doserless version.
I will mostly make (I think) 1-2 shots at a time on the X3 , but will also no doubt, be making a lot of coffee with my Eva Solo coffee-maker (perhaps not every day though); oftentimes to it's full capacity. So would I benefit from the M5 or MC5 the most? (Haven't really got a hang of what procedural difference it makes)

/Niles
nilesp

Postby nilesp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:10 pm

What are the pros/cons for the two?
nilesp

Postby Beanie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:44 pm

Hi Niles,

I've never used the Macap; however, I do use a doserless Mazzer Mini... and I have no problems with the doserless for espresso, Eva, or filter coffee (which I grind for my neighbours). Clean up of a doserless is super quick and super easy. I will always choose doserless over doser no matter how many servings of espresso I'll need to do in a day :)

Doserless is also IMO a better (easier to clean very fast) option if you plan on having a variety of coffees on hand rather than only switching once the bag is done.

But then again, have you seen Teme's thread on modding the doser so that it efficiently "sweeps" the grinds :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby nilesp » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 am

Thanks, what are the pros of the doser version - what is it for so to speak?
nilesp

Postby JulieJayne » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:18 am

The whole idea of a doser, is that you should get 7 grams of coffee with each pull of the handle. However that only ever seems to work if the dosing chamber is full of (going stale) coffee. In a high volume espresso bar, it has its merits. But if you grind per cup, and want fresh grounds, a doser is at best a nuisance, and can be very hard to keep clean.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby nilesp » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:47 am

Doserless it is then; thanks.
nilesp

Postby lukas » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:35 pm

I would also opt for a doserless for simple home use, given that I used my Gaggia MDF w/doser for a while now and how it annoys me.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Re: Macap M4 doser or doserless?

Postby Davec » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 pm

nilesp wrote:I'm just getting started with the whole quality-coffee-at-home-thingy and have set my eyes on a Francis! X3 Trio and the Macap M5 and have a question regarding the doserless version.
I will mostly make (I think) 1-2 shots at a time on the X3 , but will also no doubt, be making a lot of coffee with my Eva Solo coffee-maker (perhaps not every day though); oftentimes to it's full capacity. So would I benefit from the M5 or MC5 the most? (Haven't really got a hang of what procedural difference it makes)

/Niles

Just a suggestion, see if you can set your eyes on something else to make your coffee with. Might be worth spending more and getting some serious value for money!

Not sure how happy you will be with the machine you have chosen in the long term!

Dave
Davec

Postby Teme » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Hi Niles,

I agree with the others in that doserless is generally better in home use.

If you have not yet ordered the doserless Macap, I would recommend you do some further research. I have used the doserless Macap and would not buy one for home use, at least not for grinding for espresso. It is inconvenient to use, difficult to clean (more so than other doserless grinders) and the clumping is bad (as is the mess it creates on your countertop). Even a Rancilio Rocky is better in my opinion...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Davec wrote:
nilesp wrote:I'm just getting started with the whole quality-coffee-at-home-thingy and have set my eyes on a Francis! X3 Trio and the Macap M5 and have a question regarding the doserless version.

/Niles

Just a suggestion, see if you can set your eyes on something else to make your coffee with. Might be worth spending more and getting some serious value for money!

Not sure how happy you will be with the machine you have chosen in the long term!

Dave

+100
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:28 pm

nilesp wrote:I'm just getting started with the whole quality-coffee-at-home-thingy and have set my eyes on a Francis! X3 Trio

Well, you probably will want to begin by reading the various tests and then possibly reconsidering this decision. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 am

Is Niles still about? This thread dates back to last November and was triggered again recently by some automated spam (that has since been removed). Niles hasn't posted on this thread for six months and may well have sorted his machine by now. Damned spam is a pain because the bots just attach to any thread and keep trawling up old ones.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Open House